Cali Kid Corals

Drreefsquarantinedfish.com

newfly

Supporting Member
I'm planning to place an order. Anyone have experience with this vendor? The reviews are pretty good from what i read.

I'm in south bay. If anyone interested to split the shipping ($45), or better yet combined order (min $400) to get free shipping, let me know.

I have an order in progress. Just a heads up he had a bacterial infection in a few tanks so he is shutting down and bleaching everything so there will be some delays for a little.

edit: they have their tanks all back up again.

I have an order in progress. Just a heads up he had a bacterial infection in a few tanks so he is shutting down and bleaching everything so there will be some delays for a little.

edit: they have their tanks all back up again.
Arg, you’re in SF. A tad far . Have you bought from him previously?

This looks interesting except there isn’t any mention of ich on the site, does he include tank transfer or similar to reduce the risk of an ich infection? It almost doesn’t sound like his system is set up for it if he isn’t normally bleaching/acid cleaning.

For anyone interested in checking it out, there’s a typo in address, it is:

I don’t have any experience with them

For anyone interested in checking it out, there’s a typo in address, it is:

I don’t have any experience with them
Fixed the typo. Thanks!

his process seems to follow “Option B” which is 14 days of copper then to holding tanks.

Oh cool, I didn’t realize copper prevents the ich from latching back onto the fish. How does that work? Why doesn’t everyone do this instead of TTM (seems easier and also works against marine velvet?)

As I recall the copper dose has to be maintained within very narrow tolerance levels (therapeutic level is close to toxic level), checked frequently with expensive testing, less fool-proof than TTM. But for a pro it’s probably easier.

I think because the overall process takes longer, around a month. But ttm is a LOT of work. I have been doing the modified version with a few 36 hour tank transfers that is supposed to account for velvet.

However paying a small premium, or some cases close to local prices, seems like a no brainer, especially for sensitive fish that may not do well in qt. Especially since there is no guarantee that the fish I quarantine will even make it through the process.

AS @JVU said. And in my early days (13+y ago) I used Cupramine but never felt comfortable with it. It also seemed to beat up the fish much more so than TTM.

It's much easier these days. The biggest problem was the tests for copper used to be horrible. Hanna has a copper checker that makes the job extremely simple.

I just completed 30days qt with copper. It’s not bad especially with Hanna checker. you don’t have to be precise with the copper level. I used copper power and anywhere from 2ppm to 2.5ppm is good. I got mine to 2.3 and it stay there for the entire time. You do have to dose the new saltwater mix during water change

But having another tank to monitor, feed and clean is a lot of work. I’m going to do one last batch on my own, and going to buy quarantined fish at the same time. I have a 10g qt setup, so can’t have too many fish at once.

In hindsight I should have just outsource the qt. The equipment and meds are not cheap.

I just completed 30days qt with copper. It’s not bad especially with Hanna checker. you don’t have to be precise with the copper level. I used copper power and anywhere from 2ppm to 2.5ppm is good. I got mine to 2.3 and it stay there for the entire time. You do have to dose the new saltwater mix during water

But having another tank to monitor, feed and clean is a lot of work. I’m going to do one last batch on my own, and going to buy quarantined fish at the same time. I have a 10g qt setup, so can’t have too many fish at once.

In hindsight I should just outsource the qt. The equipment and meds are not cheap

some chelated copper forms have a much larger window of error above therapeutic level. I vaguely remember reading on reefcentral that with copperpower you can go up to 6 ppm without obviously harming the fish.

Back