Jestersix

DurTBear's 100-120g upgrade

tuberider said:
That said, I'd go HQI if you plan on running Radiums even though your PG&E bill will reflect it ;)

Would the PG&E bill be noticeably different between the new Icecaps and the Hamiltons? And let's say I decide to switch to Phoenix bulbs in the future for whatever reason. Any advantage to getting one over the other? Didn't see the Phoenix bulbs mentioned in Sanjay's study.

Jeremey is right, I run 250W Icecap ballasts (newer ones) and the 20K Radiums have a much whiter look than say a 20K XM bulb. Par is strong though- 1100+ at 9" below bulb, with luminmax reflectors. XM 20K bulb PAR is only 860.

Rimless looks nice but there are drawbacks, like the fact that you have splashback for using a mighty magnet, its kind of a pain near the surface. You can have A.G.E. make it out of 3/8 and they can put a sick acrylic euro brace on it....it will save you on weight. My 1/2" glass rimless is pretty heavy, me and my buddy moved it into the house, and it was a hard as when we moved his 180 glass tank :p
s47.jpg
You are going to love the AGE, it's a nice piece of equipment...congrats on the upgrade

seminolecpa said:
I had issues with my rimlless frag tank of snails walking out of the water to their eventual demise as there was nothing to hold them in.

I have a lot of nassarius that find their way out. only a few trochus. I usually look for water spots on the glass to track them down, hopefully in time to save them.

Goodluck durwin! take pix ;)

Tank arrived yesterday at my parents place. Man it definitely looks bigger than I thought it would!

Taking it out of the crate:
IMG_0395.jpg

For size reference:
IMG_0397.jpg

Some more pics:

Fishtank913.jpg

Fishtank908.jpg

1/2" think starphire glass. This thing is pretty heavy!
Fishtank911.jpg

External overflow box with 1.5" drains:
Fishtank914.jpg

Adjustable overflow teeth:
Fishtank915.jpg

Nah...I'm lazy so I'm going to just have a stand built for me. The 2x4's were used as a base to set the tank down so that I could reach under the tank and pick it back up without the tank being flush to the ground.

My back just remembered moving my tank. My biggest gripe about glass tanks (the weight), totally worth it though in the end IMHO. Looking good Durwin. Don't be like that Millbrae guy (you know who you are) and tease us for more then a year with pictures and equipment lists and no shots of a tank with water in it :)

seminolecpa said:
My back just remembered moving my tank. My biggest gripe about glass tanks (the weight), totally worth it though in the end IMHO. Looking good Durwin. Don't be like that Millbrae guy (you know who you are) and tease us for more then a year with pictures and equipment lists and no shots of a tank with water in it :)

Haha! I'll do my best. The main thing is to sort out the weight issue in my place. Once I'm confident that it's safe, I should be able to get water in it once the stand is built.

Back