got ethical husbandry?

Earthquake Retrofitting of House foundation, Tank Considerations?

Hi All,

My landlord has had a few contractors by to look at our 1920 woodframe house to get the foundation retrofitted (actually replaced). This of course will require the lifting of the house off the brick foundation. I know they have computer controlled hydraulic jacks that keep the house level and livable, but what do I need to consider for my tanks in this process? One is on the second floor and the other is on the ground floor. One is glass the other is acrylic. Also, I have the one on the second floor shimmed level (1/2"), because one of the floor in the room is unlevel, not sure if the house is going to level out when it gets jacked, or if it will stay relative to the way it is now? What should I expect from shake and movement?

Thanks,

Josh

Also, I took out renters insurance, but I'm not sure what they cover in relation to aquarium? Water damage? Tank damage? Livestock? Anyone have experience with this? It is a normal Allstate policy.

No experience here. Just some random thoughts...

Renter's insurance was the first that came to mind. I'd double check with your agent on what it covers. Ensure that not only is your stuff covered, but ensure your landlord cannot hold you liable if your tanks spill over during the retrofit.

I'd also inform the landlord/contractor about the tanks and ask the same questions you're asking here. In addition, ask how long it takes to jack up the house and for how long is it going to be jacked up. Is it livable when it's jacked up (i.e. walk around, cook, flush, care for the tanks, etc).?

I would talk specifically with your allstate representative about that, while I don't have any personal experience with insurance and fishtanks one thing I do know, is all insurance companies will try to screw you over three ways to sunday on any technicality they can find to not pay up.

As a general contractor/ rental property owner I have some thoughts.
1. If I were going to retrofit or replace a foundation I would not lift or jack up the house.
Usually it is enough to just support the house and then remove the old foundation and then replace it.
If the house is way out of whack I might jack up only the section that is low. Any jacking would crack walls and tile inside the house. I would worry I Had a big glass tank. If the stand got tweaked it could crack the tank.
2. If he is planning to raise the house up to get more room on the ground floor that is a another type of job.
3. It could be a hassle to live there during that kind if work. Dust,dirt,lead,asbestos,noise,are a few concerns I tell my clients about. That type of work could also interrupt the power,gas and sewer but may not.

Back