Reef nutrition

Eheim 1250 problem- won't turn on

I've got an ATB skimmer with Eheim 1250 and it's worked great for 5 years or so, however over the past year or so it's hard to get it to turn on and now it's to the point where I can't even get it to turn on anymore. I can tell the pump unit vibrates when it's powered on, but no impeller movement. I've vinegar dipped the impeller, cleaned off the ceramic shaft and even tried numerous times to dab some olive oil on it and reassemeble it hoping the lubrication would allow it to get turning. that worked one time but still I can't get it turn on and am just about at the stage of giving up. It is time to just buy a replacement impeller or is there something else I should try before doing so? any advice appreciated.

I would consider getting a new impeller.

When you insert the impeller assembly into the the pump does it rotate freely? If it does not rotate freely check the magnet make sure there is no swelling that is causing it to jam.

It does rotate freely which is what puzzles me. I had trimmed the mesh on the wheel but that didn't help. Im hoping it's not the pump unit. I supposed I could try a new impeller and see if that solves the problem.

CookieJar said:
It does rotate freely which is what puzzles me. I had trimmed the mesh on the wheel but that didn't help. Im hoping it's not the pump unit. I supposed I could try a new impeller and see if that solves the problem.

If you take the cover off so you can access the impeller, use a pen or pencil and try turning it with the power on. See if it will even turn partially with help?

Where are you at? I have a new impeller that I just put in my 1250 that has been sitting in my garage. I can let you used that to test it out before buying a new one.

boun- I'm in mountain view, where are you located? If you're not far I can bring mine over to try your impeller.
Mike- yes the impeller turns fine when the cap is off. I can't figure out why the cap is preventing it from turning. I tried adding olive oil into the rubber cap before reassembling. Maybe I should sand down the shaft length, I'm not that far from giving up & buying a new one.

Back