Jestersix

Emergency!!!! Front seam busted on 220!!!!

Galoot

Supporting Member
Hey everyone. No idea where to post this, but I’m kind of a mess at this point. The front seam on my 220 just let go!

Thank god i was home. Was able to start draining right away. Leak stopped at about 6 inches down I was able to stop the leak.

I secured the panels with some rachet straps. I think that should hold for the time being.

NOW WHAT HELL AM I
GOING TO DO!!?!?

Guess I need to stock tank or an emergency holding system somewhere.
Where do I start? ‍♂️

So I got flow in the tank, move a heater from the sump up into the tank. One still in the sump with apex temp probe. So that should be good. Air pump and stone running. Still have flowing the sump as well for all that living stuff

But now what do I do? A new tank this size will take a while to get. I feel like just dumping everything so defeated right now

Attachments

• IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 61
Maybe this needs more guidance from those who have done this before.
  • How does the filtration work in these?
  • How should the lighting be setup?
  • Separate stock tank for fish and corals?
  • Regularly water change the fish stock tank? No light. Heater and powerhead only?
  • Separate stock tank for coral with light and powerhead?
I think we discussed a lot about power outage plan B but hardly what we would need to have ready or planned for when the tank breaks.

@Galoot - you can borrow my 50 gallon shallow stock tank.just PM me.

@Galoot You can borrow my large stock tank if you want, Eric is done with it and was going to be returning it tomorrow (Monday) from his seam failure. But I’m pretty far in Walnut Creek. PM me if you want it.

Maybe this needs more guidance from those who have done this before.
  • How does the filtration work in these?
  • How should the lighting be setup?
  • Separate stock tank for fish and corals?
  • Regularly water change the fish stock tank? No light. Heater and powerhead only?
  • Separate stock tank for coral with light and powerhead?
I think we discussed a lot about power outage plan B but hardly what we would need to have ready or planned for when the tank breaks.

@Galoot - you can borrow my 50 gallon shallow stock tank.just PM me.
I just put everything to keep in the tank, fill 3/4 or so with water, add heater and flow. Figure out how to place the lights (least straightforward part). When I used it for a while I put in a skimmer on a riser. Egg crate and zip ties is very versatile for risers, partitions, etc.

Works surprisingly well and the top-down view is actually kinda nice.

I just put everything to keep in the tank, fill 3/4 or so with water, add heater and flow. Figure out how to place the lights (least straightforward part). When I used it for a while I put in a skimmer on a riser. Egg crate and zip ties is very versatile for risers, partitions, etc.

Works surprisingly well and the top-down view is actually kinda nice.
I also enjoyed the top-down view when my I had to drain my tank and move live stock over temporarily into the stock tank :) It was cool seeing them from a different angle

Attachments

• IMG_7220.png
    IMG_7220.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: JVU
Get creative…
Water changes are your best friend
This lasted from September through December
Every night I covered it all with an insulated tarp
I lost no fish
Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_5299.jpeg
    IMG_5299.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 68480149713__A244D7D2-6281-432F-BDBE-B50D4D775378.jpeg
    68480149713__A244D7D2-6281-432F-BDBE-B50D4D775378.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 51
Ok, So I started looking at replacement tanks. Both acrylic and glass options. Strongly leaning toward acrylic this time. I'll deal with the potential scratches.

Advanced Acrylics can build it this week and I can pickup as soon as Sat, or have it shipped and received middle of the following week. 3/4" hand polished, museum grade is what he calls it. internal overflow drilled to my spec. Polycarbonate lids.

CDA would be approx 3 weeks. for a starphire setup of similar specs.

Both are roughly the same price at around 4g's to my door.

I'm thinking I could get everything into a temporary holding tank for a week or two and swap out tanks over that time frame.

Thoughts???

Last edited:
Ok, So I started looking at replacement tanks. Both acrylic and glass options. Strongly leaning toward acrylic this time. I'll deal with the potential scratches.

Advanced Acrylics can build it this week and I can pickup as soon as Sat, or have it shipped and received middle of the following week. 3/4" flame polished, museum grade is what he calls it. internal overflow drilled to my spec. Polycarbonate lids.

CDA would be approx 3 weeks. for a starphire setup of similar specs.

Both are roughly the same price at around 4g's to my door.

I'm thinking I could get everything into a temporary holding tank for a week or two and swap out tanks over that time frame.

Thoughts???
Email @robert4025 at Neptune. He's got CDA tanks in stock right now.

Back