Reef nutrition

Engineer goby not burrowing

I've had an engineer goby for years now. He's always stayed burrowed under rocks, just peeking his head out to grab food. However, I moved the rockwork around a couple days ago and since then he hasn't found a burrow again. He's now spending all of his time either out on the sandbed or even frantically swimming around near the top of the tank.

I'm worried this might be severely stressing him out. I did pile some rocks in an attempt to give him an inviting spot to hide, but so far no interest. Any suggestions?

I think the answer is time. Hes an engineer goby he can construct his own burrow. Probably adjusting to the changes.

You could also try burrying a PVC pipe in the sand. Something smaller diameter.

I tried the pipe and I think that helped. For the last day he's been in his burrow constantly. As far as I can tell he hasn't eaten in a week though, and I'm starting to worry about starvation.

I'm also having trouble getting my new lawnmower blenny to eat. He won't take nori or mysis. He may have eaten some hair algae, but I don't have any more hair algae that's big enough to pluck out of the display tank and put in the QT. (I never thought I'd complain about a lack of hair algae!)

Any suggestions for foods to try with either fish? Maybe live brine shrimp for the goby? Algae pellets for the lawnmower blenny?

Also considering cutting QT short with the lawnmower blenny so he can graze in the display tank. No signs of disease as far as I can tell.

add garilc enhancer to your food. My lawnmowers when i used to have them would get lazy as they got older and bigger. Stopped eating algae off the rocks and glass. Would rather wait when I fed frozen food and flakes.

Engineers are usually voracious eaters, I had a dozen of them long long ago, they used to topple any rock work due to all the excavating they would do.

Back