High Tide Aquatics

Enough flow?

Klems

Supporting Member
Hey guys, just put a few new Frogspawn in the biocube and wanted to get your take on whether there is enough or too much flow for these guys in their current location. I plan to mount them on the rocks where they are currently placed which may shield them a bit more from the koralia pointed at the two SPS my wife wanted to get....

Attachments

• IMG_20150913_094258819.jpg
    IMG_20150913_094258819.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 189
I'd personally be more concerned with too much then too little. But it's hard to tell. I'd observe them for a week and see if they seem happy. If so mount them.

As having two different frogspawn in my tank and beta testing the Neptune WAVs that have extreme flow...I found that the frogspawn doesn't mind good amount of flow as-long as the flow is not directly into the heads other wise they would pull inside the skeleton, but if I just changed the position of the frogspawn and they then remained happy and flourish....

Euphyllia are found right up into the surf zone in the wild. They will recede if a pump is pointed right at them and steadily blasted, but they can take quite a bit of wave like action.

Very adaptable corals.

I feel obligated to point out a detail about this particular type of coral, because it might help save someone some coral damage.

It might be possible to get a nonchalant attitude after seeing this picture and think that euphyllia are able to be yanked out of the tank fully expanded. I think in a low tide scenario, the coral is gradually given time to retract into the skeleton by the slowly moving tide.

However, if it's yanked out of a low flow situation and into the air without any warning, damage can occur from the weight of the water in the tentacles. Before pulling one of these out if your tank, hit it with a few blasts from a turkey baster (or wave your hand underwater, or shake the frag underwater) and give it a moment to pull into the skeleton.

Back