Our mission

Epoxy Questions

I secured some rocks in my tank last weekend. Since then I have not been able to turn my protein skimmer back on. When it is on, the tank fills with micro bubbles (raised surface tension in the water?). This happened the last time I used epoxy in the tank several months ago. Is this normal?
I have a 24 gallon tank and used 2 balls of Two Little Fishies epoxy that were less than 1/2 diameter.
After reading some posts I think I may not have mixed the epoxy enough. Could that be the cause?
I did some tests afterwards and noticed that my alk had jumped to 10. I usually have to dose daily to keep it at 8. Cal remains at 400. Specific Gravity is 1.025.

I tried a sponge and a filter sock, but the bubble eventually made it through. Would extra carbon help reduce the bubbles?

Thanks
Nick

Pretty common. Used to happen all the time with my Euro reef. Aleays had to remember to turn it off after I did any epoxying or the cup would majorly overflow.

I just had this happen the other day.
Depending on the epoxy you used, it could last 24-36 hours before returning back to normal. I took my skimmer motor apart and everything before reading on web about this reaction. It could be partly from mixing it underwater or not mixing it enough, but can also be symptomatic of having the epoxy curing in the tank. Besides creating micro bubbles, it was either overflowing the collector or not making bubbles at all. I was able to jump start my skimmer by blowing air through the venturi air line (may have been coincidental). Now, my skimmer is working better than previously (probably because it's just been serviced so well) BTW: I was using the Two Little Fish Red Coralline Epoxy FWIW.
Here are a couple of links:
http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/aquastik-epoxy-33930.html
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/27774-aquastik-skimmer-air-bubbles.html

Hope this helps ;)

not really. Where you get into trouble is IE> dropping SW several feet into a sump or a venturi action on a LARGE pump.

I'd estimate?

I don't even stutter thanks?

I've done eat some turkey?

I don't eat small things?

Back