Jestersix

Euphyllia's 8 Gallon Dwarf Seahorse Tank

Mathew, is there a reason you continue to choose to use a macro which is known to be illegal? Why not use a legal macro? I'm sure we have a good substitute for you within the club if you'd be willing to completely get rid of (properly) all your illegal macro.

That doesn't look like C. taxofolia in the upper picture.

IMO you really shouldn't be posting illegal stuff on BAR. It highly reflects poorly on other BAR members and BAR itself. But until the day you choose to do that I'll just keep posting it's illegal.

Do your parents know you could get them in a lot of trouble? As a minor CA F&G wouldn't go after you, they'd go after you parent ;)

Gomer said:
Mathew, is there a reason you continue to choose to use a macro which is known to be illegal? Why not use a legal macro? I'm sure we have a good substitute for you within the club if you'd be willing to completely get rid of (properly) all your illegal macro.

Wouldn't you consider this as not being in line with the BAR mission statement?

Roc said:
Gomer said:

Roc, are you suggesting that I'm going against the BAR mission statement by encouraging Mathew to get rid of his illegal macros in a proper way?

Gomer said:
Roc said:
Gomer said:

Roc, are you suggesting that I'm going against the BAR mission statement by encouraging Mathew to get rid of his illegal macros in a proper way?

No that he is going against the BAR mission statement by keeping a known harmful and illeagal plant in his tank with zero regard to the countless times he has been told it isn't a good idea and against the law

While it may not be inline, that is BAR's mission statement and not a mandated way of life :)

What we all need to adhere to while posting here is:
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/18

>edit<

Bay Area Reefers is a club for reef aquarists in the San Francisco Bay area. The primary goal of BAR is to promote environmental protection of reefs and ethical treatment of animals.

Not sure what he is doing even goes against the MS other then the part about environmental protection of the reef, but, the macro in question never effected a CA reef, just a polluted lagoon. He is trying to provide the later part of the MS by using macro as a nutrient export.

There are many different macro's he could use and I am sure many would step up and give him some. I only have cheato now so I can't help :lol:

GreshamH said:
While it may not be inline, that is BAR's mission statement and not a mandated way of life :)

>edit<

Bay Area Reefers is a club for reef aquarists in the San Francisco Bay area. The primary goal of BAR is to promote environmental protection of reefs and ethical treatment of animals.

Not sure what he is doing even goes against the MS other then the part about environmental protection of the reef, but, the macro in question never effected a CA reef, just a polluted lagoon. He is trying to provide the later part of the MS by using macro as a nutrient export.

There are many different macro's he could use and I am sure many would step up and give him some. I only have cheato now so I can't help :lol:

http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/hcd/HCD_webContent/Invasive_Species/caulerpa_factsheet.htm

The problem: The aquarium strain of Caulerpa taxifolia is an extremely invasive seaweed that is currently infesting tens of thousands of acres in the Mediterranean Sea and has now been found in two coastal water bodies in southern California.

Southern California infestations: C. taxifolia was first identified in June 2000 in Agua Hedionda Lagoon, a coastal marine lagoon located in Carlsbad in San Diego County. Its growth pattern was similar to that observed in the Mediterranean Sea, having spread to many areas and displaced the native seagrass. In July 2000, another infestation of C. taxifolia was reported in a portion of Huntington Harbour in Orange County.
Test results indicate that the C. taxifolia in both Huntington Harbour and Agua Hedionda is genetically identical to the aquarium strain. Releases from aquaria, either directly into the water body, or indirectly through a storm drain, are the most likely sources of both southern California infestations of C. taxifolia.

Roc said:
GreshamH said:

>edit<

http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/hcd/HCD_webContent/Invasive_Species/caulerpa_factsheet.htm

The problem: The aquarium strain of Caulerpa taxifolia is an extremely invasive seaweed that is currently infesting tens of thousands of acres in the Mediterranean Sea and has now been found in two coastal water bodies in southern California.

Southern California infestations: C. taxifolia was first identified in June 2000 in Agua Hedionda Lagoon, a coastal marine lagoon located in Carlsbad in San Diego County. Its growth pattern was similar to that observed in the Mediterranean Sea, having spread to many areas and displaced the native seagrass. In July 2000, another infestation of C. taxifolia was reported in a portion of Huntington Harbour in Orange County.
Test results indicate that the C. taxifolia in both Huntington Harbour and Agua Hedionda is genetically identical to the aquarium strain. Releases from aquaria, either directly into the water body, or indirectly through a storm drain, are the most likely sources of both southern California infestations of C. taxifolia.

SHOW ME REEF.....sorry you loose!!!

SCCAT only lists one of those as the second "infestation" was very minor. The Agua Hedionda was the worst, and it's a lagoon like I said. The other is a the Huntington harbor, hardly a reef as well.

GreshamH said:
Roc said:
GreshamH said:

>edit<

SHOW ME REEF.....sorry you loose!!!

SCCAT only lists one of those as the second "infestation" was very minor. The Agua Hedionda was the worst, and it's a lagoon like I said. The other is a the Huntington harbor, hardly a reef as well.

Ok you are right Gresh, NM my post about the MS, it's been a long and hot day

No worries, it's still there..just a little cleaner now :lol:

Didn't I tell you that thing grow too fast for your tank?? :)

The one I gave you is ok to keep. Not the one in the second pic. (I think this is the 10th time we told you that :bigsmile: )

Elite said:
Didn't I tell you that thing grow too fast for your tank?? :)

The one I gave you is ok to keep. Not the one in the second pic. (I think this is the 10th time we told you that :bigsmile: )

Which did you give him?

Euphyllia said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but let me get this straight... the C. Pasploides ISN'T illegal but the C. Taxifolia IS?

Have you read the link I have posted quite a few times now? It's all there :)

http://www.sccat.net/#the-caulerpa-information-center-1e86c5

Not banned:
http://www.sccat.net/#species-of-caulerpa-not-banned-in-california-f45e9
C. serrulata
C. profilera

Banned:
http://www.sccat.net/#nine-banned-species-in-california-f45a4
C. verticilate
C. cupressoides
C. floridana
C. ashmeadii
C. scalpelliformis
C. sertulariodes
C. mexicana
C. racemosa
C. taxofolia

Just because it is not on the not banned list does not mean it's banned. Only the 9 are banned in CA>

Back