Kessil

Feeding advice for finicky Majestic (Navarchus) Angel?

Water parameters are great, he's in an established reef tank with sps etc. but I can't seem to entice him to eat prepared food. Maybe he's still settling in but is constantly picking on the live rock and consuming copepods - hasn't touched any of the live coral or polyps. He ate some frozen mysis and cyclopeez at the LFS, but only showed some interest in Nori today. So far no luck with live brine, frozen mysis, cylopeez flake, or Formula 1 flake. Might try fresh chopped shrimp or fresh clam in a half shell tomorrow, but nervous about wrecking my water quality. He's competing with a piggy 2" arabian pseudochromis and 1" baby blue tang for food. Those two will eat anything including flake and pellets. All three were introduced three days ago, there are no other fish in the tank. The angel's only 2.5 inches and seems to be in good health. I would normally avoid this fish in a 35 gallon reef but wanted to try to save him from certain starvation at the LFS. If he makes it = money well spent, if not, it was my good deed for the month and only my third angel fatality in 25 yrs.

I have something for you to try and I highly suspect they'll take it.

Contact me at gresham at reedmariculture dot com

Gresham is the man!
Good luck with the angel.
A beauty!
If he is a good citizen I would give him a good home in my tank!

Just an update: Crisis averted. The angel is doing fine and begging/eating flake & nori. After 3 months still rather thin but slowly filling out above the eyes. Thank you Gresham for all your help! Thanks for the offer JAR-JAR, will keep it in mind when he gets too big. You should really see his beautiful coloring, all saturated tangerine and electric blues, I hope that means he's happy :)

Back