Our mission

feeling bummed killing off corals

Just got done updating DBTC's I've received in the past. After my tank crash a couple years back and what I lost during my tank transfer last year, I'm feeling kinda bad and irresponsible knowing I could have prevented some losses. I guess the good thing is now I know how to prevent it from happening again. Just wanted to vent..... :(

Don't feel bad melly, I think we have all lost corals from DBTC in the past. On a positive note, I saw that you are made a frag of that ORA scripps stag. It's amazing that it is still going around. Probably my most successful DBTC ever thanks to guys like you!

Things happen. We've all lost corals and some entire systems. Just let it be a learning experience and move forward :)
It also points out how important DBTC is for backing up your corals :)

Gomer said:
Things happen. We've all lost corals and some entire systems. Just let it be a learning experience and move forward :)
It also points out how important DBTC is for backing up your corals :)

You can say that again! :)

Mel

I have had 3 crashes in the past and although its sad to say they could have been avoided ......... I was overwhelmed by this club members generosity to help replenish corals I had lost from DBTC's started by me and some just from kindness. We learn from our mistakes and avoid doing the same ones again (yes all 3 of mine were for different reasons) :)

Sergio

Gomer said:

My learning experience is a little different. Never trust a contractor working on your house when you have a reef tank. Especially if he has no clue about the reef or how sensitive it is to dust, dirty hands that have some sort of chemicals, and the number of times you've told him not to work near the tank or even put his freaking hands in it. I wish I had a web cam.

Thanks guys. It has certainly been a learning experience. And you're absolutely right Tony about how important DBTC is for backing up our corals. It's such a privelage to be able to partake in such program and I know I speak for everyone when I say how grateful I am that our club has this.

Dave, Definately straddling back up!

Sergio, I can only imagine going thu 3 crashes and all for different reasons. Your current tank now tho is pretty awesome and I hope no more crashes for you!

Monzer, its one thing to have a crash due to something we overlook or dont expect but to have a crash because warnings were ignored/forgotten or worst of all, lack of respect for your personal belongings.....I would be pissed!

scuba71 said:
Never trust a contractor working on your house when you have a reef tank. Especially if he has no clue about the reef or how sensitive it is to dust, dirty hands that have some sort of chemicals, and the number of times you've told him not to work near the tank or even put his freaking hands in it. I wish I had a web cam.

Was he washing his hands in the tank?!? I can't think of a single legitimate reason for the contractor to touch the water. |(

lattehiatus said:
scuba71 said:
Never trust a contractor working on your house when you have a reef tank. Especially if he has no clue about the reef or how sensitive it is to dust, dirty hands that have some sort of chemicals, and the number of times you've told him not to work near the tank or even put his freaking hands in it. I wish I had a web cam.

Was he washing his hands in the tank?!? I can't think of a single legitimate reason for the contractor to touch the water. |(

Neither could I. I personally did not see his hand in the tank. My wife did. When I came home and asked him what he was doing, he said he wanted to feel what the temperature of the water was.

The mistake I made at that time is not doing a water change or take the corals out of the tank when I noticed the skimmer going crazy. By the evening, most of the corals were dead as they were became stringy. Out of 25+ specimens only 4 survived. Sorry Remmel, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but here is what I learned:
1) if the skimmer is going crazy, something is very wrong especially if you did not add anything yourself.
2) During construction, make sure your aquarium is in area where it is sealed off. If this cannot be accomplished, have your coral and fish housed some where else other than the house.
3) And of course, don't trust any contractor. Even if they are exceptional or my he is a friend of mine. If they start losing money on your project... it's over and you are left in nothing but a major mess.

Well, besides what others have said about keep going and do your best, I'd add a good job for updating your dbtcs, even of they are dead. Makes me for likely to want to give you coral. Want some?

You are too funny!
I guess no one should trust me!
In 20 years of contracting I have never lost money on a job.

You are the exception Jon. I've heard great things about you.

This guy after 1 month on the job told me that he was losing money. That's when things started to go south. Live and learn.

Back