High Tide Aquatics

Fight ich in a bucket

houser

Past President
About a month ago I got a 2 new angels. They showed ich within 3 days. I'd read on and off over the years about transferring the fish between tanks on a regular basis to rid them of ich. I figured why not give it a try. So into a 5 gallon bucket they went, and every 3rd morning I transferred them to a new 5 clean gallon bucket. I utilized a 50W heater, and an airpump for some agitation, and a few PVC parts. Since I didn't have an extra heater I'd simply put the heater, PVC pieces, and the solid airtube into a bucket with some bleach, and let it soak for 15-20 minutes or so each transfer morning.

Anyway, ich-coated fish in a 5 gallon bucket should equate to a short life however moving them every 3rd morning as directed sure seems to have broken the ich lifecycle. No spots, clean as a whistle, eating like champs. Knock on wood, but these babies are free of ich.

dh

I transferred a total of five times. No nets, just poured out the bucket into my sink, then transferred the small amount of water into a container, waterchanged the little container a few times with a half gallon of SW, then straight into the next bucket. I did manage to pour one fish out once into the sink, but the drain catcher kept it in there. Lucky I had an old school sink with that catch or it could have been curtains!
First transfer the fish were off the feed for a few hours. Subsequent transfers the fish would eat within 5 seconds of hitting the new bucket.

Nice work! I wouldn't have dared QTing a pair of angels in a 5 gallon bucket.

I have no experience battling cryptocaryon or with the tank transfer method, but it seems that any dormant tomonts would be removed through the water change and bleaching. When do you expect it will be safe to put the angels back into the DT?

I used new water. That is the point! The angels are small and get along so despite the small space they fit ok for the treatment duration. Had they not got along beforehand, a different setup would have been utilized to keep them together, but separated. Definitely wouldn't want two males to develop.
The fish are clean, but the system isn't. I'm going fallow for 3 months, so I still have 7wks to go. The other fish went into copper treatment, and appear clean after 5+ wks. I'll keep an eye on them.
Anyway the tank transfer method may be applicable in certain situations so give it some consideration!!

Back