Our mission

Filter Suggestions/advice needed

Hey guys and girls,

I need some advice on purchasing a new filter. I have a bio cube 29 with a filter modification (Live rock, filter floss, skimmer and chemi-pure. This has been working well for me in the past year, however in the last few months my nitrates and phosphates have been slowly rising with signs of hair algae popping up. I have managed to keep things under control with 20% water changes (using RODI) every 2 weeks.

I really want to get on top of my water params, and the only way I think I can do that with such a small system is to beef up the filtration. I'm looking at getting a canister filter that can fit in the tank stand out of sight.

Your suggestions and advice on what to get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 231
  • FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 232
You got enough clean up crew?

What lights ya using? If you're using power compact bulbs or Non-led lights, an old bulb can promote algae growth.

Too many fish can also = high bioload = algae growth

But yeah I guess you could also do a canister filter. Make sure you clean it though because those things often become a Detritus Trap. There's no option to add a sump?

You got enough clean up crew?

What lights ya using? If you're using power compact bulbs or Non-led lights, an old bulb can promote algae growth.

Too many fish can also = high bioload = algae growth

But yeah I guess you could also do a canister filter. Make sure you clean it though because those things often become a Detritus Trap. There's no option to add a sump?

I have 2x 36w Power compacts that have been replaced two months ago which did make a difference, I have reduced my bioload too- only 3 fish and a cleaner shrimp. I could add more clean up crew but they don't seem to eat the hair algae.

I would love to have a sump but just don't have the space

Use GFO to reduce phosphates. How long is your photoperiod?
Make sure your liverock area in your sump doesn't have tons of detritus in it.
If your nitrates have slowly crept up like you say, maybe do one or two 50% water changes a few days apart to reset them and go with 25% every two weeks after that?

How big is the skimmer? Pulling nice dark skimate?
Instead of adding canister filter, add a biopellet reactor. Either that or carbon dose.

But I feel in your system, those address the symptom, not the cause.

It sounds like you are doing everything right but still have rising nitrate and phosphate. And by rising, what kind of before and after numbers are we talking about?

I'd definitely stay away from the canister filter. More often than not they're going to end up becoming a bit of a nitrate factory.

One suggestion: Have you ever cleaned your live rock? I periodically use a baster to blast accumulated detritus out of the various "pores" in the live rock. You can pretty much put the nozzle up to a hole in the rock and blast it clean. I'm often amazed where the plumes of detritus show up when I do this. It really shows how connected the interior of the rock is.

Use GFO to reduce phosphates. How long is your photoperiod?
Make sure your liverock area in your sump doesn't have tons of detritus in it.
If your nitrates have slowly crept up like you say, maybe do one or two 50% water changes a few days apart to reset them and go with 25% every two weeks after that?

Hey Mike,

Photoperiod is 9 hours, is that too much? I have moved (a month ago) since you saw the tank, Its about 10 feet from a window now... during the move I did a 90% water change and didnt find any detritus i also rinsed out all the sand too. Its pretty much the same in regards to algae growth as before I moved

How big is the skimmer? Pulling nice dark skimate?
Instead of adding canister filter, add a biopellet reactor. Either that or carbon dose.

But I feel in your system, those address the symptom, not the cause.

It sounds like you are doing everything right but still have rising nitrate and phosphate. And by rising, what kind of before and after numbers are we talking about?

Its a pretty small skimmer, the biggest i can fit in the back compartment of a biocube (with a bit of trimming down too). The skim is thick and dark, so definitely working. I will check the params and post here soon

Back