High Tide Aquatics

fish that stir up the sand bed

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a cute fish that burrows or stirs up the sand bed. Dave, didn't you have some kind of watchman or other goby that did a great job rearranging your sand bed? I was trying to remember what it was....

yes but it doesn't stay to small, My friend's got to 4-5 inches long. you have to feed it meat to or it will starve. It stirs the sand looking for inverts to eat.

Good to know. My tank has a deep sand bed, but limited access to it, so I want a smaller fish that also eats prepared foods. I was thinking of a yellow watchman.

I have a yellow in one of my tanks. they only stir up the sand a bit in the begining when choosing a home. After that, it doesnt really do too much to the sand. So if you are looking for something to sift the sand, the yellow watchman isnt the best choice. But is is a great fish. And get a pistol and they form a cool little combo.

I had one of those orange diamond gobies... lil bastard jumped out of the tank on day one, didn't realize it until I saw a trail of ants going to the corpse!.

Yellow Watchman is a nice fish though, it won't really stir up the sand other than where it'll live though.

dscf00010ly.jpg

Here's my guy he's happy as can be :)

I have the diamond watchman goby in my 60 gal. I like it a lot, but it tends to stir the sand bed a little too much sometimes. Occasionally it will bury corals in the sand and I have to dig around and find them. I decided the beauty of it and it's ability to sift sand is reason enough to keep him, plus the kids won't let me get rid of him.

The Diamond watchman is also my favorite, I've had one in my tank for 7 months without any problem.... They're bottom feeders so I don't know why they would jump out of the tank. I swap tank 2 days ago and put him into the his new home. Immediately he started working on the stand, gotta love that.

watchman.jpg

Yea, I second about the yellow watchman. They don't really sift the sand once they've dug a hole for it self.

Pistol shrimp, I think it's a hit or miss on pairing them up, if you didn't buy them as a pair. Though, this is just from my exp.

I had a Dragon Goby or Sleeper Banded Goby - he did a god job, maybe too good of a job. It does get a little on the big side.

I do like the Diamond Watchman Goby as well.

HTH.

Back