Jestersix

Fixable?

Hi - I just bought a used CO2 regulator (looks like a Milwaukee) and after installing it, I seem to have a very small/slow leak at the base of the bubble counter where it connects to the solenoid. Is this something I can patch? If yes, can I use the icy gel or some kind of glue? Would think it be very messy if I try to slather with silicon or try some kind of spray. Or is it better just to replace the regulator all together. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

take a photo. If it is an NPT fitting (need photo to tell), you just need to retape it
If it is a compression fitting like a CGA/swage etc, then it might be foreign materia.
If it is another type of fitting we'll see.

DO NOT GLUE IT.

Hey Tony - Thanks for warning not to glue. Can you send me your email address. Probably easier for me to take a pic with my phone and email it to you that way. Thanks. Doug

That looks like a 1/8-NPT. You can unstrew it, remove any oxidation (looks like a vinegar bath might help), teflon tape it, and re-tighten. NPT are virtual compression fittings. They get tighter the more you tighten it.

Tony - Any suggestions on how to unscrew the bubble counter so I won't break it since compression fitting? Assume I go counter clockwise as well. Then do I unscrew the solenoid(?) and soak that part in vinegar? What strength vinegar and for how long also? Thanks.

if you are telling me the right piece, you don't need to remove the bubble counter to access the NPT.
I don't know strength nor time. I'm just guessing that part.

Hmmm....maybe I didn't explain it right. I think the leak is where the bubble counter is screwed in to the needle valve. When you say NPT...is that the fitting on top of the bubble counter? If it is, that's not it. I saw moisture under the bubble counter and a slow drip from the needle valve so believe that is where the leak lies. That change what I need to do to fix? Thanks.

you said bubble counter into solenoid
The solenoid is the square thing. I'm talking about the thing threading in horizontally directly into the solenoid.
If between the needle valve and the bubble counter, I think that is a rubber o-ring compression fitting. perhaps it is cracked.
If it is in the stem of the needle valve, then I am not sure.

Ahhhh...sorry...explained it wrong first time then. Don't think it is in the stem of the needle valve. So can I remove the bubble counter to relace the rubber o-ring?

should be fine to remove the bubble counter and inspect the oring. If it looks ok, check the surfaces to make sure the oring makes a solid contact without debris. Silicone grease can aid in sealing, but it won't fix big problems :)

Cool....thanks for all the input Tony. If any reefers in the Concord/Martinez area good with Calc reactors and regulators...let me know. I have mango gummies to share. :)

Back