Neptune Aquatics

Flooded drain, Stockman or Durso?

Hey guy's I want to get started in the plunbing of my new tank but Iv'e never constructed a stand pipe before, which type of overflow systen should I go with? I pretty interested in the Flooded Drain but I don't quite know how to build one or the supplies I would need for it. Here is a picture of my overflow and the size of my drains are 1.5" x 2 in the center of my 225, I will be using a Reeflo Snapper pump and some of the pumps output will be dumping into the fuge.

Thank's
Mark

I use a stockman because I had trouble fitting a standard durso into my 5x5" overflow box -- you can fiddle with angle joints to modify the durso if you have a tight fit, but I think the stockman is easier to build and works just as well.

Also check out the gurgle buster, a modified stockman design which people seem to like: http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Bookfish or Jeremy can either one (or both) of you guys give me a detailed drawing and mareial list to make a Flood Pipe? I'm sure its simple but when your gluing pvc into a $20 bulk head you don't want to have any mistakes with things such as pipe height. Thank's!

[quote author=corals b 4 bills link=topic=4215.msg50742#msg50742 date=1217636144]
He Roc how do you like your Flooded Drain so far? Would you make one again if you had to?
[/quote]

Yea I think it works great, actual there are quite a few diagrams in my tank thread about them, if you wanta see how I did mine

It's super easy Mark, a gate valve on the shorter standpipe, throttled back just enough so the pipe stays covered in water. The second pipe is run wide open with a slightly taller standpipe, a minimal amount of water will be traversing the taller pipe. Ideally very little, to no air will be traveling down your overflow pipes.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4215.msg50759#msg50759 date=1217642090]
It's super easy Mark, a gate valve on the shorter standpipe, throttled back just enough so the pipe stays covered in water. The second pipe is run wide open with a slightly taller standpipe, a minimal amount of water will be traversing the taller pipe. Ideally very little, to no air will be traveling down your overflow pipes.
[/quote] This sounds exactly like the design linked above by bean animal (minus the third failsafe). I just constructed this same design today and hope to water test it tomorrow. Very easy to make, take a look at the first page of the linked thread above. It has a very good breakdown of the fittings required. I put a gate valve on my flooded/siphon pipe for throttling it down.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4215.msg50759#msg50759 date=1217642090]
[/quote]

Hey Jeremy is there any diagrams online on this....im thinking about changing my diy durso...salt creep keeps clogging my holes every few months

Back