got ethical husbandry?

Fluval Flex 15 Gallon

BleepBloopMunchMunch

Supporting Member
I have had one of these tanks for a couple years in which I had some red cherry shrimp that grew to a pretty large colony and I recently got rid of. In tandem I had a larger frag tank but got some MENB (see my post about that if interested) and also found a future new home for the tank with @ryanraff so thought I would get this set up and slowly move the frags that are left into this tank.

It is sold as a freshwater all in one but I saw a couple posts that used it for a frag tank and know of one person who did the same with relative success so I thought I'd give it a go and try to make it all happen with extra gear I already have.

First thing I did was reseal the aquarium. Nothing was leaking or wrong, but a friend said theirs started leaking at the bottom and since I was draining it anyway couldn't hurt to through a few bucks of sealant on there.
Just got it filled with water today, seeded it with some rock from my display and made a rock structure from some leftover shelf and branch.
File_002 (1).jpeg

Just filled

File_001 (1).jpeg

So far sticking with the stock filtration in the back which I took out for now. I added some bioballs in the left chamber and the middle chamber is for the sponge that comes with it and the bio cermics and carbon. Might toss the sponge and just do floss depending on how messy it gets. Return pump is stock and it pushes around a decent amount of water.
File_003.jpeg

With my rock structure and the stock hood with light. Not sure how I feel about the rocks in there, I will add a frag rack in there somewhere, but for now its fine. I also picked up the wavemaker there which hopefully won't be too strong. I had a couple powerheads lying around I was going to use but I had them mixing my saltwater and it kept shocking me so that was a no go. I HATE getting shocked, I know an unpopular opinion....

Lighting is my next thought. The stock light is just a small fluval plant spec 3.0 light, which has served me well for growing some easier plants but doesnt do me much good here. I have a kessil A150 that I was going to put on, but I have been looking at more led bar options that might fit under the hood since I do like having the hood there. I tried to fix a second kessil A150 but Kessil wouldn't send me any spare parts and just offered me a discounted new A160 which I have yet to take them up on since I wanted to avoid buying anything new for this.

All in all this is currently still an experiment, open to all suggestions and will continue to post as things move along

Back