Kessil

Foam PVC sheet Q?

Wen today to TAP plastics to quote on a piece of black plexiglass 1/4" 24x20 and it was over $35; I'm on a budget and the guy in at the counter showed me a piece of "Foam PVC Komatex" for much cheaper. I want to fit a false back for an Oceanic 30G cube.
Is this material considered safe for use in a saltwater environment?

I'm planning on making three chambers, left a skimmer, hopefully an Urchin unit, center the return and right a fuge area.
the return will be with a Locline 1/2" Y via Rio 1400.
Lighting will be done by an Orbit 2x65w PC while I make the canopy with a single 250W pendant I also have collecting dust; this one has the CoralVu dimmable ballast.

I discovered some scratches on the sides of the glass that I never noticed, guess I placed stuff inside not being aware it was being scratched. The stand has been refinished with a deep red mahogany (my favorite) will post progress on the project majorly founded by surplus equipment

Image is of the tank before the change of color of the stand.

DSCF0324.jpg

If it's virgin plastic, yes. If it's remelt (recycled), no. That's a question for them and one I doubt they'll be able to answer unfortunately :(

Thanks, I´ll be checking on that, it´s much cheaper than plexi but I want it to be safe to use.
I have added some trim to the stand and painted to match the rest, one more coat to darken it and to build a canopy.
The base will have 2x4´s around the perimeter little off set to match the top trim and raise the stand a bit.
The corner space at home is getting ready for this tank.
I think eventually I´ll take the Biocube down and transfer livestock to this new tank.

Picture173.jpg

Picture174.jpg

Picture175.jpg

...well, done little research and seems OK to use, according to a manufacturer:

Approved for use where food is processed or sold
KÖMATEX sheets are not harmful to human health or the environment in their manufacture, application and disposal. KÖMATEX is free of lead, cadmium and barium and complies with national and international regulations protecting health and the environment.

still, have to do little more search on it.

[quote author=xcaret link=topic=6852.msg88835#msg88835 date=1237163977]
...well, done little research and seems OK to use, according to a manufacturer:

Approved for use where food is processed or sold
KÖMATEX sheets are not harmful to human health or the environment in their manufacture, application and disposal. KÖMATEX is free of lead, cadmium and barium and complies with national and international regulations protecting health and the environment.

still, have to do little more search on it.
[/quote]

sounds fine :)

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=6852.msg88837#msg88837 date=1237164723]
I love the color of the wood on the aquarium! Very modern! :)
[/quote]

Thanks !

I liked the color so much I've applied it to a few stands, my last experiment a stand I posted on CL using black base and on top this particular color, the result a very dark kind of espresso-redish black? I just don't know how to name colors. My wife likes that little stand and as soon as she sees the tank above, I hope she places no hurdles on this tank being set; is a specific corner that gets free electricity from the building.
My brother bought a table saw, nice one; just to help me with this crap of economic times we're living.
I have received and still do, lot of support from him.

...not mile stones but getting there today. Was a really nice day to work outside and besides staining another stand, almost completed the false back on the little cube.
Bought some Komatex (foam PVC) for less than $20 (compared to $40 of plexi is a no-brainer) Finished the top coat of the stand and the false back is just waiting to be sealed to the back; I would like black silicon but I have no idea of which is the kind to use so I'm going to play it safe with clear.
I used a table saw to cut the teeth on the overflow part, by applying masking tape I guided the material and used a stop at 3/4" then using the Weldon 16, glued the baffles/bubble trap dividing the return (I changed my mind on the set up) There are two chambers only, not sure if I'm going classic overflow-fuge-return; one of the images shows a Remora, I intent to use an Urchin since the space the cube is intended for does not allow for a HOB skimmer and the chamber is big enough to fit even a Pro (with the pump in the tank).
Return I'm going to ask for your opinion, have a Mag2 and a Rio 1400 not using, both pumps fit the return side; my volume will be the stock 30 gallon so for a 5x ratio, the closest would be the Mag2? Rio seems to be more powerful but I have the idea to split it and drill the false back left and right at the upper most part for two returns and possibly use a SCWD.
Water movement via Koralia 1 (2 pumps) I picked from Anthony and Joyce or go for my favorite little Seio620
Light will be temporarily a Current 2X65 PC that's collecting dust; heather a 75W
I got my ReefKeeper1 back from Mexico (long story) so a little controller will be in use and once the canopy is made, I'll switch for either, 150 or 250W DE-MH
I think the 250 will be an overkill but I have a CoralVu 250 dimmable with PFO pendant doing nothing. The 150 is a retro pendant with an IceCap or a cheap Odyssea 250 (yeah right) to power the 150 bulb (it works on my BC29)
So here are some pics of today's work
BTW I had a reschedule paint job so I had time to complete this, Friday will resume the painting.
Q? Should this be moved to the "Tank Thread"? It's becoming one...

Thx

DSCF0139.jpg

DSCF0142.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0141.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0143.jpg

DSCF0146.jpg

A drawback made me focus on the little cube since I had to wait for the sun to dry the clear coat on the big stand just to see the top part of the stand bubbling... crap.
Back to the false back.
Fitted two returns with Locline fittings, some Eheim tubing and vinyl hose; also a holder for the heather was superglued to the back. I'm holding on the skimmer so It will sit on a removable stand made out of light diffuser (need an Urchin Pro so I can use the little Urchin on this cube)
Filtration part is curing the silicon as of today, little messy but it will be painted outside where shown.

DSCF0147-1.jpg

DSCF0148-1.jpg

DSCF0153-1.jpg

At first, when I bought both cubes wanted to drill them for overflow but bottom is tempered and drilling the back glass or OF-box meant having the tank few inches off the wall and space is my issue; so an all in one unit does take space but then again is a nano that will have probably softies and couple clowns.

Back