got ethical husbandry?

For sale forum suggestion

Based on some recent activity, I'd like to suggest we have a minimum post count for being able to post in the for sale forum.
Just like RC.
I also think only BAR members should have posting privileges there. That may already be the case, I don't know.

I thought you had to be a member too but that's not the case. Not sure when or if that was a new change or just maybe an oversight? I like the idea though.

Jim, can you check your PM (unrelated topic)? probably should have emailed you but I didn't for some reason. Since I didn't hear back from you I can probably make it tonight still or maybe Wed night. lmk

IMO being able to post for sale items should be a perk of membership. Otherwise once word really catches on, BAR becomes a spam fest carry over from RC etc etc.

I've been part of another forum as a mod where we had post restrictions for "for sale" access. All this did was encourage a bunch of really shitty posts till their requirement was met.

The reason we decided to go with a sale forum was to allow anyone with stuff to sell to sell it without bunging up the other forums. The selling forum is for selling stuff, so is it really a big deal to let people sell stuff there?

I am not a big fan of minimum post amounts for the reasons stated above and because it necessitates more moderation - something this community is working hard to avoid. Personally, I don't want our forum to be anything like RC especially when it comes to moderation.

A little wider view in case anyone missed it, is that most of the forums are open to anyone as that seems to be a good way to fulfill our mission statement.

I just have a personal grudge against people who just go to forums to peddle their gear/frags. We have (atleast it looks like it) already had some non members just come here and all they seem to contribute is "for sale!!"

I understand how it would be nice to get rid of that bad activity (I don't know to what you refer but I can guess). The trouble is, less people posting means less people looking and then less people who could post, bother to post. Of course it totally makes sense to put it in it's own forum so that if you aren't buying you don't have to wade through it.

Well, I just glanced over the WTS forums and saw these two non members:

YBReefer23- 14 posts all in WTS
Sassafrass- 3 posts all in WTS

Right now that isn't much, but I also realize that we JUST went "public" access and it IMO can only get worse in time.

Again, for me it is a personal grudge, but may not be much of an issue for most.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3366.msg38079#msg38079 date=1205784717]
I just have a personal grudge against people who just go to forums to peddle their gear/frags. We have (atleast it looks like it) already had some non members just come here and all they seem to contribute is "for sale!!"
[/quote]

Yeah, stop all that "for sale" posting on our for sale boards for goodness sake. That's terrible. Leave it for it's intended purpose.

Good discussions. To be honest, I can go either way. I'm thinking it's working now so leave it and we can revisit it if it becomes an issue.

We were actually already talking about this amongst the BOD. I think the general feeling is that we want the forum to be a place for people to share ideas about the hobby (both members and non members). Opening up the forum to the general public in theory enhances it by providing different insights etc.

Rather then use negative reinforcement such as banning people and or putting in minimum post counts we will instead politely ask the people if they could please contribute something else to the forum.

BST threads can benefit everyone here, as much as they can be a nuiscence when people abuse it. If it becomes overly abusive we will then take appropriate action.

Back