Frag tank is up and running!

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by enaldy, Sep 24, 2017.

1. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

Finally finished (kinda of) the frag tank...
    A biocube 29g, with 4 t5s at 8 inch from water.. the light stand is not a work of art yet (just a temporary solution) but will be making a better one soon. The rocks are just temporary to hold some stuff in place for now...

So, a question now.. I am thinking on making the back of the tank a refugium (just some algae as I saw some people doing). Is it a good idea? Should I use bioballs to help with bacteria?

I also have a skimmer and a carbon reactor in it (Will use gfo and carbon in it).

Any thoughts and tips is highly appreciated on this, specially because is my first frag tank.

Thanks everyone!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark B likes this.
  2. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Cool!

enaldy likes this.
  3. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

i just have a small nano skimmer in my 20 gallon frag tank, with a kessil a80 as the light

enaldy likes this.
  4. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

This is awesome!! Looking great!

enaldy likes this.
  5. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

Don’t put anything in until you get rid/pass the gha phase, trust me, you will thank me later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

enaldy likes this.
  6. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

+1

7. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

You can hang the light from the ceiling?

enaldy likes this.
  8. DEATH BY SNU SNU

Astrea Snails love Green Hair Algae. They are better than any other snail when it comes to that.

9. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

You'll always be fighting algae. You need to make sure your nutrient export is up to par. I put in an algae reactor on my small frag tank, an aquamaxx fr-se. It is about a half gallon worth of volume and can be hung on back of tank.

[​IMG]

10. DEATH BY SNU SNU

that is so cool!

11. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Oh and I put it in a 4" pvc pipe over the reactor to reflect back some of the light bleed, but this pvc pipe was a little thin and light was shining through it so I painted it black with epoxy paint. Plus the black is less noticeable than bright white pipe when you walk in the room.

[​IMG]

Chromis likes this.
  12. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

Then my astrea snails are being bunch of lazy asses, they don’t do great jobs on the gha at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chromis likes this.
  13. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

Excuse my ignorance.. but what is GHA again. I am really bad with those acronyms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

I can, but wife would go crazy lol...

15. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

That’s a great idea...

16. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

green hair algea

ashburn2k likes this.
  17. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

Oh ok.. it makes sense :/

18. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

Could not wait for the gha... the little tank was just too cluttered.. it was driving me crazy!!
    Well.. had to get the RapidLed Aurora Puck up again.. the T5's are too strong and corals are not happy.
    Will have it up again and will increase power slowly.

19. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

Much better now.. birdsnest are already showing some polyps and acans are opening again. And best part... since the tank is "on my desk" I don't have to keep up with the heat from the lights. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

20. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Here's 10 days worth of growth; about 3x the amount of cheato then when I started. If you want to keep GHA out of DT and off of frag plugs, this will most definitely help.

[​IMG]

enaldy likes this.