Cali Kid Corals

Frag Tank

Hello - A friend of mine is interested in buying a frag tank instead of the traditional tanks available. Any recommendations on what to look for and where to purchase? Thank you, Doug

for a frag tank, you want something shallow with a large foot print.

A standard tank that should work really well for that purpose is the 40g breeder (48L x 16H x 18W)

Tony - Cool. Any suggestions where to buy? I'm assuming acrylic is the way to go here. My friend likes the idea of a shallower height so she won't get her whole arm wet while maintaining the tank. ;D

Not sure if there are acrylic 40g breeders. You can get the glass ones at most LFS or they can order it in on their next shipment.

Ian is selling his old frag setup. Check with him to see if it's still available.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3601.0

That might not be the best frag setup however (even though Ian did a spectacular job with it!) as it's more of a cube, and not very shallow.

If you're handy with a saw and acrylic you can always take a standard tank and chop it down to size... I know one particular BAR member did that :D... hell get even more creative and you can patch up the top and make two tanks :D

the nice thing on his tank, is you can set yo a 2 tier system with a single MH. toss the high light SPS up top and lower light LPS.zoa below.

LOL - I don't think a saw is good thing amongst my friends. Fragging a zoo is already stressful enough and it's only with a scapel. Thanks for the info on Ian's tank. I will pass that along. If anyone else knows if someone is selling please let me know. Any ideas on what one would cost brand new with the dimensions Tony provided? Thanks.

It isn't uncommon to find a 40g breeder at places like petco/petsmart. If you are lucky, they will have one when they have their $1/gallon sales.

Tony got the dimensions a bit wrong. The 40 breeder is 36x18x16 not 48. Its pretty much the same volume at my cube tank with the same amount of surface area. BTW my tank is still available but may not be for much longer. I have a few friends that have been bugging me to part it out. One wants the stand and one wants the light.

Back