Jestersix

Free rescued petco blue hippo tang

alvarengadaniel8

Supporting Member
for the last several months I've seen a blue hippo tang at Petco (16th and bryant). Today i decided to rescue it as i saw its health declining. I spoke to Kenny at High Tide aquatics and he generously agreed to qt the tang free of charge. The only conditions is that you must have a 200 g or larger tank. I am also willing to transport the tang free of charge after it finishes qt. Thank you again @under_water_ninja

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpeg
    IMG_3265.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
for the last several months I've seen a blue hippo tang at Petco (16th and bryant). Today i decided to rescue it as i saw its health declining. I spoke to Kenny at High Tide aquatics and he generously agreed to qt the tang free of charge. The only conditions is that you must have a 200 g or larger tank. I am also willing to transport the tang free of charge after it finishes qt. Thank you again @under_water_ninja

Great initiative, thank you so much @alvarengadaniel8 and @under_water_ninja for doing this. At least not many Petcos actually have saltwater fish. The one I know in Walnut Creek has tanks which are all in terrible condition. Did you have to pay for the fish? Hopefully he survives the QT.

I appreciate that you had the right intentions here @alvarengadaniel8 and I'm not trying to be negative here or try to single you out, because this happens a lot across the country.

There are a few unfortunate problems with this type of activity:

1) Petco now made money on the fish rather than letting it die, meaning they're going to purchase more, and the cycle continues. If they don't show losses, they're going to continue selling.

2) Kenny can't take fish randomly without notice because his quarantine process takes 2+ weeks and if he isn't in an in-between cycle, he'd have to start over, meaning more stress and losses on having the current fish having to deal with copper or other meds longer.

3) You can instead complain to the manager and or corporate at Petco saying that they aren't keeping their fish properly. Also you can leave negative reviews on Google reviews or Yelp with pictures of their sick or mistreated fish as that will further keep people away from their location.

Our club goal is of course the ethical treatment of marine animals and the best way we can support that is by spending money on our local fish store partners that do put effort into keeping their animals healthy.

Your heart is definitely in the right place though!

I appreciate that you had the right intentions here @alvarengadaniel8 and I'm not trying to be negative here or try to single you out, because this happens a lot across the country.

There are a few unfortunate problems with this type of activity:

1) Petco now made money on the fish rather than letting it die, meaning they're going to purchase more, and the cycle continues. If they don't show losses, they're going to continue selling.

2) Kenny can't take fish randomly without notice because his quarantine process takes 2+ weeks and if he isn't in an in-between cycle, he'd have to start over, meaning more stress and losses on having the current fish having to deal with copper or other meds longer.

3) You can instead complain to the manager and or corporate at Petco saying that they aren't keeping their fish properly. Also you can leave negative reviews on Google reviews or Yelp with pictures of their sick or mistreated fish as that will further keep people away from their location.

Our club goal is of course the ethical treatment of marine animals and the best way we can support that is by spending money on our local fish store partners that do put effort into keeping their animals healthy.

Your heart is definitely in the right place though!

Petco is not able to properly sell these fish, and we bought one supporting their revenue. That is a fact, and you are right about this big picture.

However, complaints do not seem to matter as I did this twice at the Walnut Creek store, with several follow up emails from their management and nothing happended from what I have seen.

I do not believe this was about changing the whole Petco marine fish sales process but rather rescueing this one poor animal that Daniel observed over several weeks. It was also not about buying all Petco fishes but just to act in this situation.

So big picture, yes, we should not buy from Petco fish (online, retail, or anything else?), small picture, it was a very nice thing to do, and I assume @under_water_ninja would have not agreed if this disrupted the quarantine process.

@Darkxerox i’m not trying to make this political. I get your point. i was just saving one fish thats it.
Oh for sure, I'm just saying be sure to follow up with the photos and review process on Google and Yelp plus hitting their social media too if they're not listening to you. People take note of these when they look at places on Google maps and you might be able to help some new reefers make a better decision than shopping there.

This reminds me of a post I read many years ago on a forum I don’t recall.. Someone was buying live baby Octos from a market I think near Fremont/ Niles and giving them to club members in hopes of saving. Noble attempt but I believe they ran outa spaces and options since the Octos just kept being restocked endlessly! Maybe the Ca Octo Bill will curtail a little!

Back