Kessil

FW-->SW plumbing advice

I am highly tempted to convert my freshwater tank to a SW tank. It was very ideal for my planeted setup, but somewhat inconvenient for SW.

SoCal%20Creations.jpg

The tank itself is fine. 36x15x16 acrylic.
The stand is tricky. The left and right door sides are sealed off from each other. They are setup so that each side has a independent adjustable shelving (which can be removed). Each side has an opening to the back of the stand which is about 3" x 12" in the upper section. This is here I fed my canister filter line, CO2 and electrical.

Recommendations on how to plum this to a reef?
CONDITION. I don't want to drill/cement the back wall incase I want to ever convert back to FW. If I drill the back wall, I don't want the bulkhead hardware above 3" from the base of the tank (so that I can cover them up with substrate).

I don't mind drilling the bottom of the tank nor mind cutting out holes in the stand to feed into the bottom section. Inside, it is too hard to unify the two sides, but I can cut out a "window" to feed pluming from one side to the other.

Thanks for your suggestions :-D

Sounds like you've limited yourself into a bottom drilled overflow and return. Not sure how you'd want to cover the pluming for that but shouldn't be problem. I'd say as nice as the shelving is underneith you've got to gut it. Either that or just go hob for everything.

You could drill out the bottom for closed loop, and plunk a little Tunze skimmer in there, and your done, well mebbie a heater and chiller, but those can be plumbed into the closed loop.

Two part sump connected in the middle w/some PVC? Holes drilled in the bottom of the tank.

Put a screen on the intake side and on the outflow, you can do anything you want.

small 12x12x16 chaeto sump with an HOB skimmer on one side. Cut a hole between compartment sides so that I can plum two lines from the bottom of the other side of the tank? Use two bottom drilled overflows and bottom drilled 2 returns on a SQWID from the sump with locline attachments to position flow?? Use a pair of Koralias for additional tank flow? Never done this before so just winging ideas :)

What does a bottom drilled overflow look like? I've only seen typical back compartment skimming overflows.

I'd go with a power-head and a hang-on skimmer. Easy and no fuss.
If you don't mind drilling the bottom, closed loop and no PH.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3467.msg39405#msg39405 date=1207076628]
THink built in overflow without the cage around it.
[/quote]

so PVP pipe with a strainer attached at the skim level?

I know what your saying, I feel the same why with my tanks, but you are making this too hard on yourself. When or if you decide to convert back to FW, especially planted, your aquascaping should be able to cover the plumbing.

So your an open aquascape type?
Sounds like you limiting your choices, that only leads to shorting yourself. Besides, why would you go back to FW with an awesome SW setup? and FW always look better with glass. haha.

Hob overflow into sump - no muss no fuss. Yes, it will be ugly, but drilling from the bottom and without a tall enough standpipe will mean the entire tank will drain into the sump and the floor.

Back