Cali Kid Corals

Garlic Festival

I haven't gone in years. Ever since they started using mainly Chinese garlic I stopped going. The bulk of garlic is now Chinese, even the stuff in many of the Gilroy brands :( I found a local farmer doing Garlic and he's gotten my business for years now.

The same with any other Chinese produce, use of banned pesticides, little to no oversight and a history of using horrible things. Not to mention the elevated heavy metal levels through out the country (air born, water born and soil born).

And yes, it does taste a bit different to me. Locally grown tends to be sweeter.

Wow they use the Chinese garlic at the Gilroy festival? Yikes... next you know they'll start having Chinese wines at Napa festivals... *sigh* isn't there anything sacred anymore.

Gomer said:
I heard that they have chinese food in chinatown.

Depends.....Chow Mein IIRC was "invented" smack dab in San Francisco :lol:

sfsuphysics said:
Wow they use the Chinese garlic at the Gilroy festival? Yikes... next you know they'll start having Chinese wines at Napa festivals... *sigh* isn't there anything sacred anymore.

You know those bottles of peeled garlic you see at Costco? Chinese :( Yup, the brand is a Gilroy brand even :(

Well it's not a matter of "oh no the Chinese garlic are invading" it's like going to a farmer's market for "local produce" and finding out their locality is down near SoCal. I go to a place known for garlic, I'd like to have the stuff that's actually grown there. I want Chinese wine I'll go to Trader Joe, I go to Napa, I better not get fricking Chinese wine with a local company relabeling it.

Chow Mein was "invented" in gold rush times in SF or so the legend goes. A couple of miners sat down at closing time and the owner had nothing but left overs so he tossed it all in the wok and cooked it up. The miners loved it and thus Chow Mein started :) It migrated back to China. Or so the story goes. Must be true, I saw it on both he history channel and Alten(sp?) Brown :lol:

sfsuphysics said:
Well it's not a matter of "oh no the Chinese garlic are invading" it's like going to a farmer's market for "local produce" and finding out their locality is down near SoCal. I go to a place known for garlic, I'd like to have the stuff that's actually grown there. I want Chinese wine I'll go to Trader Joe, I go to Napa, I better not get fricking Chinese wine with a local company relabeling it.

How is it not about the invasion? The US produced the most in the world. Gilroy was the leading producer on the planet. The majority of garlic in the US in Chinese now. This wasn't the case 20 years ago prior to the invasion.

Invasion implies something to fight off that's currently happening. The Chinese stuff invaded, and has won. They produce about 4 times as much as the rest of the world, the US is but a blip on that number.

That being said you can go to just about any farmer's market and buy locally grown garlic.

JAR said:
And you can still type?
Sounds like a great time but obviously you did not get your monies worth! :D

I had an evening to sleep it off, I did get my moneys worth for sure, especially when my g/f stopped drinking. She stayed in line with me and we used her glass to get me more beer!!

LordHelmet said:
Gresh, not to correct you but I believe your thinking of Chop Suey, or is chow mein and chopsuey the same thing.

Nope, your right :)

Back