got ethical husbandry?

GBTA partly bleached :(

Thanks again everyone, for all the encouragement and assistance.

I plan on doing a 10% water change every Saturday from here on out. Hopefully that will make a difference. I'll also try feeding the BTA mysis shrimp and flake food.

Just an update:

I completed a 15 gallon water change yesterday and added some LR that had finished cooking. I'll do my best to make 15 gallon water changes every week. I also tore out about 5 handfuls of dead/dying halimeda and caulerpa. I'm waiting on my Ca and Mg test kits, as well as some supplements. I also decided to skim wet for a while, see how that works.

My wife and I have made the decision that if the GBTA does not improve over the next 2 months, we'll breakdown the tank. I foolishly thought I could create a "low-maintenance" reef tank, but I've ended up killing more critters than I care to mention. The idea of what I wanted simply cannot be accomplished without more time and money spent on the tank. Unfortunately, both commodities are in short supply these days.

I'll keep this thread updated, and if it comes down to it, will post a for sale thread in the next two months. Zambavi has first dibs, as I failed to purchase a couple items I told him I would buy.

Mike

If I have to tear down this tank, I may start up a heavily planted FW tank. This is where my hobby roots are. I know for sure that a planted FW tank is much lower maintenance than a reef tank, especially using Diane Walstad's method.

I'm not giving up on it just yet. I really love reef tanks and would love to keep this one in particular.

Back