Kessil

Gear Swap @ BAP

You probably have already seen the announcement for the Bay Area Reefers Breeding and Propagation Workshop on October 19th. (You have RSVPed, right?)

One of the new parts of this year's event is a gear swap. The swap is open to all BAR members and BAP attendees and provides a great opportunity to clear out your closets, find some bargains and (optionally) support BAR.

You can register the items you plan to bring and view the items already registered online. Pre-registering can make it easier to line up buyers for your items especially big, bulky or expensive items.

Important Rules: We are very strongly encouraging that no live goods be part of this swap. Do not bring fish or corals unless you have a pre-arranged buyer and adequate transport. Bulk items like live rock, live sand, chaeto, mojanos (yeah, right), are perfectly OK.

Swap sellers are encouraged, but not obligated, to donate a portion of their proceeds to BAR. We believe the gear swap will be a popular addition to BAP and want this event to be a success. Donations keep BAR strong and are your "vote" for making gear swaps part of future BAR events.

Thanks!

Crap, now I have to inventory my inventory of stuff so that I know what inventory on the BAR/BAP sheet.

Out of curiosity though, why did you have a section pointing out who's donating to BAR? (and then on top of that listing the percentage). Just to point sellers towards people giving the club a part of the proceeds? I don't mind ponying up a piece of the pie, but if I fill my car full of stuff and sell 1 thing, where I'll barely have enough money to cover bridge toll I'll be less inclined to donate :D

It just makes it easier to match buyers and sellers who are interested in having a portion of the proceeds go towards helping the club. Whatever you want to donate is appreciated, and you can do a sliding scale system or whatever works for you. :)

Can BAR use a slightly used Warner Marine MF161 (made by Skimtz) protein skimmer as a donation for the BAP event? I used it for testing purposes and ran it a few months on a nem quarantine tank. Works best for tanks around 75 - 100gal range. I can clean it up to almost like new or someone can pickup and do the cleaning, either way.

mf150.jpg

Attachments

• mf150.jpg
    mf150.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 269
Thank you for the generous donation, Ed! I'll pick up the skimmer from you this Sunday on my way back from Steinhart and give it a thorough vinegar bath and cleaning.

Thank you for the generous donation, Ed! I'll pick up the skimmer from you this Sunday on my way back from Steinhart and give it a thorough vinegar bath and cleaning.
cool, that works for me. I may have some old compact fluorescent fixtures that you can have as well, good for lighting sump and fish only tanks.

it's not generous, they are white elephants sitting in my garage collecting dust and not doing anything. maybe someone can put them into good use. besides, holding events like BAP and swap meet takes funds, as i'm sure your speakers don't come without costs and overhead. what better way to take an old white elephant and turn it into funds to support your event. I would be really surprised if BAR can support all these events just by membership dues.

cool, that works for me. I may have some old compact fluorescent fixtures that you can have as well, good for lighting sump and fish only tanks.

it's not generous, they are white elephants sitting in my garage collecting dust and not doing anything. maybe someone can put them into good use. besides, holding events like BAP and swap meet takes funds, as i'm sure your speakers don't come without costs and overhead. what better way to take an old white elephant and turn it into funds to support your event. I would be really surprised if BAR can support all these events just by membership dues.

You would be correct in your assessment Ed. Auctions/donations/raffles/BAR frag tank/etc. all go toward helping bring in great speakers and hold events such as BAP ! Nice donation by the way. :)

That is a great attitude! One of the goals envisioned for the Gear Swap is to help new folks who may be deterred by the cost of the hobby dip their feet into the water with budget-conscious equipment. They may not be the latest and greatest, but somehow we managed to get by with these equipment in the olden days. ;)

BAR ultimately relies on the generosity of our sponsors and members both in terms of time and money to continue building a community and support network. As an officer of the club I am grateful to be serving a community that gives back more than it gets.

Thanks Ed! I am certain this will be a fantastic upgrade or first skimmer for someone and it's very generous of you to donate the proceeds to help BAR put on events like BAP.

Anyone want to try to top this donation? ;-)

So Mike is there going to be a table that you will watch over all the swap sale items? or can we setup our own little tables too? I don't mind maning the table to help, but I want to catch some of the speakers so I don't know how that will work. LMK. trying to figure out what I might want to bring. maybe we can open a thread on what gear people are looking for too? just a suggestion.

I'll be watching after a table of donated items but don't want to take responsibility for personal items or cash. All it would take would be a few seconds of inattention, an item gets "yoink"ed and we'd have angry sellers.

We will be using the benches along the side as sales tables.

then it would be hard to leave and watch a session or two.....maybe we can have the gear sale open for a certain time window when there are no speakers going on? or maybe be closer to the vendors....not sure if there will be a lot of folks bringing stuff yet. just my 2 cents. Thanks

We're trying to fit a lot of activities into the day, so there are things going on concurrently to have something for everyone. We want to respect the speakers and not have too much noise going on during their talks, which is why the Gear Swap is being held outdoors. The Gear Swap runs from 12:30 to 3:00, and no speakers on stage between 12:30 to 1:30 - it is free time you can use for lunch, peruse the sponsor tables, bid on the silent auction, or participate in the Gear Swap.

Might seem like an odd question, but is there going to be a way to have an extension cord or something so that people can test out lights and what not?

I don't know if there are plugins available outside that we could use. (Let's hope it's not raining!) I will bring an extension cord.

Back