got ethical husbandry?

Generic replacement for tunze power supply 6055.240

Anybody tried with success to use a generic power supply as replacement for tunze 6055.240?

My tunze controlleable pump 6055 is missing its power supply. New one cost ~$50.

I read in general (not specific to Tunze), generice with same input voltage (110v), output voltage (not sure what it is in my case), and amp is no lower than stock power supply, it should work.

I am also looking for a power supply 9935 and it's basically a computer supply that you can find anywhere according to Roger at tunze.

Sounds a lot like Ecotech's Vortech PSU, charge $50 for a replacement that may cost half that much if you sourced it. The big key is getting the proper adapter plug size.

Here's one on Amazon for $42 w/ free shipping, looks like it is an adjustable 12-24 volt, but you could probably pick one based on what the 6055 pulls, I'm guessing 12V based on 18W maximum power, but I could be wrong. Your existing PS should state what the output voltage is.

Julius,

Find somebody who has one, or has the specifications (the replacements are 12-24V, configurable). Perhaps your pump has an indication of the power requirements (voltage, and amperage). From there, it should not be too difficult to find a replacement. let me know if you need help.

Jim

I realized I missed two more criteria in matching a DC power supply. Here is the full list:

1. Input voltage (110v in my case) needs to match;
2. Output voltage needs to match. My Tunze 6055 pump runs on 20V (the pump;s own label says 8-24V, so there is chance it may work with 24V power supply too). The power supply 6055.240 can adjust DC voltage output, and for pump 6055, it runs at 20V.
3. Amp output is no lower than stock power supply (1.85A in my case)
4. Polarity of output plug: center positive in my case. Most power supply has a sign, like -C+ (center positive). The "C" may face left in other cases, and whichever sign that is next to the opening of the C is for the polarity of center wire.
5. Output plug has to fit.

I have a laptop power supply fits all 1~4 criteria, except 5. I will try Fry in next few days.

Cheers,
Julius

Last edited:
If you find a power supply with the right voltage and current capacity, but wrong output plug, the output plug can be changed out if you can find the right sized output plug separately. All a matter of cost/convenience.

I ended up buying a generic power supply from amzon. It works perfect. Its adjustable voltage actually allows me to dial down/up the speed of tunze 6055.240 without using a tunze controller.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027BUS0M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before buying this replacement, I did attempt to solder a new plug but found it hard with very little space to confidently avoid short between two exposed wires at the plug end. Thought about using after market plug with pigtail, but only one I can find appears to be very thing wire (24AWG wire?), concerned that might be too thin for good amp draw.

Last edited:
yeah reattaching some of those plugs can be a royal PITA, I had one where unknown to me had a silvery metal cabling inside the wire which I assumed was some sort of noise reduction or something... then noticed only one wire inside, turns out that sheathing was actually the conductor for one of the polarities, ugh!

In my case the 1st power supply i used was a dell, and it has three wires to its plug not two! The 3rd wire is used to detect if its being used by laptop. I decided not to mess up with it.

Moved onto lenovo power supply which has two wires. But my generic plug was just two small on the soldering side.

I ended up buying a generic power supply from amzon. It works perfect. Its adjustable voltage actually allows me to dial down/up the speed of tunze 6055.240 without using a tunze controller.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027BUS0M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before buying this replacement, I did attempt to solder a new plug but found it hard with very little space to confidently avoid short between two exposed wires at the plug end. Thought about using after market plug with pigtail, but only one I can find appears to be very thing wire (24AWG wire?), concerned that might be too think for good amp draw.
For the power you are drawing, 24 AWG is fine. Only concern would be about breakage if moved around too much or exposed to stress.

Back