Neptune Aquatics

Genicanthus Bellus, Finally!

kinetic

Supporting Member
Finally, after 2 years of searching for a very small 2.5" bellus, I found her! I bought her off of LiveAquaria's Diver's Den, and I always have complete confidence in my purchases with LA. I was eying one at All About Fish, but unfortunately I didn't get my tank setup in time. I passed up on a few big ones that I saw at Ocean's Treasures. But finally LA was offering little ones. I wanted a small one because I like watching them from when they're small.

After a 30 minute acclimation, I netted her into the tank. She immediately hid, but only for about 10 minutes. After 10, she came right out and swam around with the ocellaris and percula I have. The two clownfish have been with me for 3 years, and completely the most unaggressive fish ever.

So within half an hour, I was getting her to eat flake, mysis, brine, AND rod's food! HOLY CRAZINESS!

What an exotic fish that came so healthy and ready to eat. She swims around the water column constantly, with ZERO swim bladder problems or symptoms that I can tell. I'm no expert but I've seen some pretty "healthy" genicanthus swim with a of difficulty. She does no bobbing up and down, just smooth strokes through the water. Beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a genicanthus so far swim so nicely.

I did notice that she likes to pick at the little attenae of my snails. But that's the only picking she has shown, otherwise she chases stuff all over the water column.

Behavior wise, she swims in the strong currents, likes to hug the edges of the tank, and does not do the centrogype like slaloms through rocks.

Here are pictures I took just now:

thanks guys! she's really healthy, though I'm a bit worried. She's swimming back and forth like crazy a lot at night. Like right now, lights off, really dark, she's going nuts.

=/

You'd be going nuts if some giant human thing was looking at you when you where supposed to be asleep :) Quit peeping, I bet she'll calm down :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4609.msg56281#msg56281 date=1222026733]
You'd be going nuts if some giant human thing was looking at you when you where supposed to be asleep :) Quit peeping, I bet she'll calm down :)
[/quote]

oh man... maybe haha

It's rather common with many MO fish Art, seriously :) I can't explain why but IME they calm down.

My friends green chromis all go to one corner next to the DSB for ~2 minutes when the lights go out, then they all go to the rear of the tank.

is it me or do those little white specs on the blank part of the fish look like ick? both pics show it.....not to bum you out. Did you QT or dip the fish?

[quote author=Apon link=topic=4609.msg56398#msg56398 date=1222130778]
is it me or do those little white specs on the blank part of the fish look like ick? both pics show it.....not to bum you out. Did you QT or dip the fish?
[/quote]
yup it's ick, though only shows from my photos. only noticed it after i took the shots.

I didn't QT nor Dip the fish. I just figure it's from the stress and she should power through it. I'm hoping at least. I've had a few fish come in with ick, but they pass it quickly.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=4609.msg56401#msg56401 date=1222132572]
Kenetic, does all about fish have a website??? It says on their business cards but it never works.
[/quote]

All About Fish in Concord? I don't think their website works. I haven't been there in about 8 months now =(

Back