Our mission

GEO Kalkwasser reactor

I just purchased a GEO Kalkwasser reactor to replace my DIY reactor which served me well for the past 8 years. The DIY started having issues where the vessel to pump interface started weeping, and since I didn't want to deal with it, I just broke down and bought a manufactured one. Anyway...

1) I have to say that the acrylic construction is top notch. I particularly like how the top while having a dozen or so plastic screws, also has cut outs for the screw heads. All you need to do to remove the top is to loosen the screws, and give a slight turn to the top. You don't have to completely remove the screws. Very convenient. I can't imagine that this would have to be done often with the exception of the once in a blue moon deep cleaning of the reactor.

2) They used a screw on union top which allows easy access to re-charge the vessel with more Kalkwasser. Unscrew and go.

3) The pump used is a plain old maxijet 600. When (not if) the pump gets clogged up beyond repair (it's Kalkwasser after all) the replacement of the pump will be easy (and cheap). The volute shouldn't need to be replaced. Just twist of the body that holds the impeller, and replace with a new one.

4) The device has a drain, so that you can lower the water level, and re-add fluid without having to tip the device.

5) Large reaction volume. It really took a long time to fill over the 1/4" input feed. The diameter is about 8" and it's about 18-20" tall.

My only negative criticism of the device is the return feed. The return feed is a 3/8" tube where my top off device uses the standard 1/4" tube. I took a trip to the hardware store, and picked up a plastic 3/8" to 1/4" adapter. I wanted to get the John Guest version, but they were out at Home Depot. Instead, I had to go to a irrigation supply store, Urban Farmer, and kind of rig two threaded pieces together which was no big deal.

That said, the new GEO is very similar to my old DIY in capability, but better built (haha). I feel as though I'm not losing any functionality with this purchase.

This is the link for the product that I bought (and who I bought it from).

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/GEO-KALK618.html?fe_feedid=126&fe_code=GEO-KALK618&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=feedexact

GEO stuff rocks! I love their Ca reactors, my only issue with them is the acrylic hose as well.

IME the acrylic is very thin, cracks and leaks within a year of setup. Of course they use an Eheim pump (metric) and standard fittings, PITA. Other than that the build quality is amazing.

I'll keep an eye out on the tubing. I picked up a large Korallin reactor a few years ago, but never felt like it performed as well as my old MTC (marine technical concepts) dual chamber reactor. IMHO, dual chambered calcium reactors seem to be the most efficient in melting aragonite.

Back