Kessil

getting a security tag off of a pair of jeans

Soo.....my girlfriend's grandmother gave her a pair of jeans for her birthday. She loves them, they fit perfectly, Great!.....but not so much. For some reason, the jeans still have the security tag on them. I'm assuming this is the fault of the store, and not the grandma ;) Anywhosit...ideas for getting it off?

Take it back to the store with the receipt and have them remove it?

Otherwise, wedge some space in b/w it and snap it off (pliers) or cut it off (dremel).

My Dad wore a jacket with the security tag in the pocket for TWO YEARS and could never figure out why the security alarms went off when he left certain stores empty handed. What a hassle. Finally he finds it and while visiting me, I dremelled it off for him. First I wrapped it in a plastic bag, then I put a towel between the jacket and the device..just in case there was dye pack, then I hacked at it with a dremel, I think I ended up cutting off the plastic, then the stupid pin. What a hassle! I don't even recall if there were dyepacks in it or not.

Also look on youtube, I think there are some "tutorials" on it.

V

Depending upon the type of secuty tag, they can be removed by placing a high power magnet on one end and then sliding off the other end of the tag (one of those great "by the way" other uses for algae magnets). Also makes you a hero at home when the sales clerk forgot to take it off but the security systems are down!

Otherwise, dremel away if there's no ink involved.

Anyway to figure out if there's ink involved or not? I figured as much with the dremeling, but I was worried about the ink. And BTW, grandma is in San Diego, so it's a bit much just for a pair of jeans.

I'll try the magnet, and then worse comes to worse I'll use some plastic bags, seran wrap etc.

[quote author=phishphood link=topic=6754.msg87219#msg87219 date=1236631402]
Anyway to figure out if there's ink involved or not? I figured as much with the dremeling, but I was worried about the ink. And BTW, grandma is in San Diego, so it's a bit much just for a pair of jeans.

I'll try the magnet, and then worse comes to worse I'll use some plastic bags, seran wrap etc.
[/quote]

that won't work to stop the die.

you can tell if it's a die pack by the label(should have a color indicator), you can take them off with a ton of things, dremals will work, but so will tin snips. the other option is to take em to a store and ask them to remove it, even if it isn;t the same store. I know if they don't carry those jeans they might do it fo you

I have gotten them off by unscrewing with pulling pressure. Takes quite a few turns but it should slowly back off. You would think the aquarium magnet would be strong enough though.

Wanna here my story. I bought a pair of pant from Off 5th last year. They forgot to take a tag (with ink) out, I came back the next day and requested them to remove the tag. The customer service lady looked, gave me a dirty look and refused to remove it. I said "how come? what's a problem. I bought this pair of pant here yesterday, your store forgot to remove the tag, I have to come back so you can take a tag out. Lucky that I didn't wash it." Then she went back and made a phone call, returned and remove a tag, didn't apology. I was so pissed off, then I said. "you know what, I don't want this item any more, I would like to return it"....guess what her answer is ;)

[quote author=fishme link=topic=6754.msg87349#msg87349 date=1236663525]
Wanna here my story. I bought a pair of pant from Off 5th last year. They forgot to take a tag (with ink) out, I came back the next day and requested them to remove the tag. The customer service lady looked, gave me a dirty look and refused to remove it. I said "how come? what's a problem. I bought this pair of pant here yesterday, your store forgot to remove the tag, I have to come back so you can take a tag out. Lucky that I didn't wash it." Then she went back and made a phone call, returned and remove a tag, didn't apology. I was so pissed off, then I said. "you know what, I don't want this item any more, I would like to return it"....guess what her answer is ;)
[/quote]

they didn't let me do a refund....and a funny thing is that they don't give me any reason why I can't do a return. 15 minutes later, the store manager arrived, apology, then give me money back for the dammed $40 pant. I demanded for an explanation before I leave, all they said that they made a mistake.

Found this online

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Security-Tag-from-Clothing

Place article of clothing firmly on floor with rectangular part of security tag facing up.
Using the thinnest-headed flathead screwdriver you can find, place it along the edge of the raised square pyramid and press down hard. This should pierce the plastic where the head is.
Repeat Step 2 all the way around the raised square pyramid until it can be completely removed.
Remove the silver paper lining so you can see the metal plate beneath it.
Using the screwdriver again, lift up one of the metal arms that is holding the pin in place.
The pin should slide right through the now free hole and through the back of your clothing.
Alternatively, using a hammer.
Place the security tag on it's side (the long and thin side) and hold securly with one hand
Grasp hammer securely with other hand and bash the thing firmly several times.
Once the plastic has cracked, you can easily tear the tag apart, and the pin should slide out freely.

Tips

This works for the rectangular tabs with the round pin fastener.
Don't steal.
You could also crack it open walnut-style with pliers.
For the ones that are rectangular and have Ink in them, just using a Grinding wheel on the back side, there is a pin isde there that is held with little notches, just to be safe cover the ink side with tape.

Warnings

Watch your hands when using the screwdriver!
This method will not work with ink tags; you might want to try putting the garment in the freezer to solidify the ink before attempting.

Things You'll Need

Thin, flathead screwdriver.
Hammer
both hands (or a friend!)

Back