Neptune Aquatics

Getting Into SPS

I got a new BioCube 29 HQI for Christmas and I'm thinking about what corals I want to put in it. I'm really interested in SPS since I can keep almost any of them now. I don't really like encrusting SPS, but I love branching and plating. I have a few questions...

#1. I'm wanting to get at least one really nice Monti Cap to be the main showpiece in the tank. I've heard those are relatively easy to keep, so is that true?

#2. I don't know much about them in general other than they require MH. Could somebody fill me in on important things for keeping SPS? :)

#3. I really like Pink Bridsnests. Are those hard to keep?

#4. What kinds of SPS should I stay away from when I'm beginning?

I'm open to suggestions of any colorful, not hard to care for SPS. Thanks. :)

You can start with some monti cap and digitata. Those are the easier ones and the digitata is branching. If you do ok with those, birdsnest is a reasonable next type to try.

You probably should stay away from any other types until you can keep those for healthy for an extended period.

The important things for you will be to keep your water parameters stable, and make sure you have enough alkalinity. Also keep your nitrates and phosphates low. If you are having algae outbreaks you will need to correct whatever is causing them.

Mr. Ugly said:
You can start with some monti cap and digitata. Those are the easier ones and the digitata is branching. If you do ok with those, birdsnest is a reasonable next type to try.

You probably should stay away from any other types until you can keep those for healthy for an extended period.

The important things for you will be to keep your water parameters stable, and make sure you have enough alkalinity. Also keep your nitrates and phosphates low. If you are having algae outbreaks you will need to correct whatever is causing them.

I'm planning to update my test kits so that I can get more accurate tests on my new tank to keep my corals happier. Which brand of testing equipment would you recommend?

I have had good growth and decent color under PC lights with M. digitata and encrusting montiporas. I have orange digi if and/or when you want a frag.

yardartist said:
I have had good growth and decent color under PC lights with M. digitata and encrusting montiporas. I have orange digi if and/or when you want a frag.

I'd love to take you up on that offer once I get new test kits and my tank is ready for corals. Thank you. :)

I'm the wrong one to ask on test kits.

I like Seachem reef status for Mg and Ca, but a lot of people think they're not convenient to use.

For alk, I have my own setup that uses API reagent.

I don't know what's popular right now, but Elos tends to come up.

Back