Reef nutrition

Getting test kits

Hi all,

I've decided it's time I invest in some test kits. I originally opted against getting the kits, because in my past, I only used them a few times before the expiration date. On top of that, I'm not keeping any "difficult" critters that require regular dosing.

That said, because my GBTA has bleached, and because I'm still seeing a lot of diatoms, I'd like to purchase the following kits for my tank:

- NH3/NH4
- NO3
- NO2
- PO4

I apologize if wrote the chemical compounds incorrectly, it's been a long time since I tested. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a low-cost brand that is reasonably accurate. I have read that Salifert is the way to go as far as cost/benefit. What are your thoughts?

I'd also like to know if there is something else I should absolutely test. I humbly ask you to note that I am not keeping any SPS, clams, or other critters that, in my limited understanding, would require additives. However, since I am still a lowbie, please let me know if I am incorrect and the absence of, say, Mg, Ca, etc, would cause the bleaching/death of my critters.

I currently use Oceanic Natural Sea Salt mix, which in my understanding has more Ca and Mg than the average salt mix.

My sedentary inverts include:
- Hammer coral
- a small colony of zoas
- a small frag of GSP
- GBTA (bleached over the course of a month)
- Pulsating Xenia

Thank you for your help everyone!

Mike

Thank you iani. I know I asked about test kits on that thread, but I also asked why it is important to test for kH, Ca, and Mg. I just wanted some specific details, because I don't want to buy a kit and use it once. I remember purchasing these kits in the past and just following the crowd, not knowing what they really meant for my tank.

In other words, I probably don't have a good "foundation" in reefkeeping, and am not sure why kH, Ca, and Mg are important to every reef.

Thanks,
Mike

You really can't assume anything about the salt you are using. Everyone here remember the bad batch or batches of reef crystals salt. However, oceanic normally has really high calcium and very low alkalinity. Which equals low pH. I am not sure how it tests in relationship to Mg. However, it is not an ideal reef salt.

If I had to say what was the single most important test kit is, I would say its kH. Followed by calcium and magnesium.

The ammonia and nitrite test kits are normally needed only when you are cycling your tank and in event of a emergency tank crash. The nitrate test kit may come in handy more often. I wouldn't bother with the phosphate test kit, because they are not as accurate as we need them.

Thanks again iani. I totally forgot about the relationship between alk and pH, thanks for the reminder and the clarification! I assume low pH has a significant impact on all the critters in our tanks.

That said, is there a reef salt you would recommend?

Personally I've been mixing salts. Seachem reef, D&D, and tropic marin pro reef salt. People will tell you different things however if you want cheap and good I would go with seachem reef salt.

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=6883.msg89044#msg89044 date=1237222986]My sedentary inverts include:
- Hammer coral
- a small colony of zoas
- a small frag of GSP
- GBTA (bleached over the course of a month)
- Pulsating Xenia
[/quote]

[quote author=iani link=topic=6883.msg89050#msg89050 date=1237224466]If I had to say what was the single most important test kit is, I would say its kH. Followed by calcium and magnesium.
[/quote]

You will need to keep your alk/Ca/Mg all on target for your hammer coral.

Hammer coral and other LPS lay down skeleton material.

I've seen people get caught off guard by low Mg. It depletes at a lower rate than alk and Ca.

LPS will do ok for a while as Mg drops. Then the coral starts showing tissue recession.

Back