Jestersix

GFO & Reusable Mesh Filter Bags - Sum Installation

Alexx

Supporting Member
What do you guys think about the way I have added GFO in my sum. I have a 75 gallons saltwater tank.

I have made this video that shows the setup and what I did.

Let me know in the comments below.

A couple of comments. It looks like the carbon is tumbling which will pulverize it after awhile. Also, you may want to consider using a higher quality carbon (won't pulverize as easy and it has greater surface/pores so it can absorb more). I'm assuming that you don't have a reactor?

This is for GFO. Yes I don't have a reactor an not sure where I can fit them. If I want GFO & Carbon...
I want to see how my system will be like this. I also placed a UV Steraliser.

You can mix both carbon and gfo in the same reactor. It actually works well this way because it’s best if carbon doesn’t tumble because the fines are released and will clog the reactor or get through to the dt. The gfo is normally best if it tumbled because it can solidify and become a large mass in your reactor if it touches itself. Mixing the carbon and the gfo solves both problems. The carbon doesn’t tumble and keeps the gfo from touching itself and clumping up. The downside is that both don’t typically get exhausted at the same time so there will be some waste.

What's the reasoning for the carbon/gfo? What's your phosphate levels at? Be careful on not overdoing gfo or carbon since you don't want to strip the tank.

Back