got ethical husbandry?

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

sfsuphysics said:
Not too shabby Jim, what's your fish count up to? When are you going to stop? :D

I'm up to 29 fish in the main display. Although, the wife wants me to get rid of some of the Seale Cardinalfish. lol. I have the 4 clowns and the 6 anthias in QT, so that will bring it up to 39. I would like to add either a small school of square spot or borbonous anthias and few more pairs of wrasse (rhomboids, lineatus, etc.). 50 is probably my magic number though.

hehe ok.

Sad about the cardinal fish though, while they're not exactly super colorful, they do look nice. I think my next big tank is going to focus more on small fish than large, besides I have 2 tangs and a foxface that I'm sure could deal with most any algae issues.

Shhhh.....between you and me the cardinals aren't going anywhere. While not ultra colorful, their big blue eyes are too cool. Once the reef matures, they will stand out with a colorful background of corals. I don't have any large fish, with the sailfin probably being the largest fish in the tank. I'm still going for color and movement with the fish and corals.

p.s.

With 8 Zebrasoma tangs... algae doesn't stand a chance in the tank. :D

aqua-nut said:
How many of those beauties do you have? I thought I saw 6 in the bucket and at least 5 in the last video.

Are they all female now?

I have just the 6 females. It's funny to watch the bickering between them who will become the male.

3E4E29B1-643A-40A3-B17C-D20161AE0B6C-7178-00001075051BD4B1.jpg

Finally got around to putting together a auto water change station. Some of you may recognize that this was Ian's old water change system. It's two 110 poly containers w/a tarpoon pump. The container to the left holds fresh water and even has a auto top off and the one to the right is for salt water. A couple of turn of the valves and water changes are easy peasy.

gimmito said:
Finally got around to putting together a auto water change station. Some of you may recognize that this was Ian's old water change system. It's two 110 poly containers w/a tarpoon pump. The container to the left holds fresh water and even has a auto top off and the one to the right is for salt water. A couple of turn of the valves and water changes are easy peasy.

Nice! But I thought for sure with plans for 50 fish you would have some super-fancy continuous change system.
;)

I thought about it, although I haven't found any data that supports continous water changes vs. standard water changes. Plus, I like to get my hands in there and wipe down the sump. ;)

gimmito said:
Kensington Reefer said:
The sump? Wipe down the sump? Who does that?!!

C'mon there's gotta be other folks that do !

Well, there might be a few. Maybe those same strange people that remember to clean their pumps regularly.
But not me.

Wow. 100 gallons a week.

There is a great article on continuous water change here:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php
The gist : It does not make much difference. Key is the overall gallons per month.

rygh said:
gimmito said:
Kensington Reefer said:
The sump? Wipe down the sump? Who does that?!!

C'mon there's gotta be other folks that do !

Well, there might be a few. Maybe those same strange people that remember to clean their pumps regularly.
But not me.

Wow. 100 gallons a week.

There is a great article on continuous water change here:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

The gist : It does not make much difference. Key is the overall gallons per month.

Great article...totally agree.

Back