Our mission

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

sfsuphysics said:
Hey, it's a start!! I'm guessing that's salt water, since there's Chaeto and all.

We need to calculate the volume of the sump for the frag tank vs the whole system and have someone make a graph or chart showing how close to full water we are :D

John: Riser tube design on a skimmer, the bubble height in the skimmer depends how high the water is, different pumps will push different amounts of water/foam, but overall it looks about spot on, right around where the neck is of the skimmer, not to mention that skimmer barely looks like it's in the water, so that pump is working a bit extra to get water to that height

...it's a re-circulating skimmer, so you'll notice a feed from the drain. I could use another feed pump, but my friend Ed suggested plumbing it that way and it works thus far....plus I really don't need to spend more on electricity. ;)

Looking great!!
Nice to see some life in there.
And the best indicator : there seems to be a fair bit of skimmate in that cup.

You might want to move that heater controller a bit though. Sure seems like it and the wiring will get
pretty wet. Although much less so once the down-pipe from skimmer is fixed.

Of course, with everything so fancy, I have to ding you on that home-depot like clip-on light.
:)

rygh said:
Looking great!!
Nice to see some life in there.
And the best indicator : there seems to be a fair bit of skimmate in that cup.

You might want to move that heater controller a bit though. Sure seems like it and the wiring will get
pretty wet. Although much less so once the down-pipe from skimmer is fixed.

Of course, with everything so fancy, I have to ding you on that home-depot like clip-on light.

Heater controller has been pretty dry thus far, but as you mentioned once I install a down pipe for the skimmer I'll be fine. I'll upgrade the fuge light down the line, but the "ghetto look" is growing on me. :p

gimmito said:
Heater controller has been pretty dry thus far, but as you mentioned once I install a down pipe for the skimmer I'll be fine. I'll upgrade the fuge light down the line, but the "ghetto look" is growing on me. :p

Go-ghetto-look (in the garage). But until you have duct tape holding pipes together, your are just a poser.

Jim, did you get the cable ducts? those really helped on cleaning up the wires.. But your tank looks really clean. i like the frag tank. Last time is saw frag rack like that was at Upscales in Oregon.

rygh said:
gimmito said:

Go-ghetto-look (in the garage). But until you have duct tape holding pipes together, your are just a poser.

...how about aluminum foil for reflectors ? :p

drdoolittle said:
Jim, did you get the cable ducts? those really helped on cleaning up the wires.. But your tank looks really clean. i like the frag tank. Last time is saw frag rack like that was at Upscales in Oregon.

Ed,

I haven't picked up the panduit yet. eBay seems to have the best prices on them though. If nobody seen Ed's "uber clean" build yet...check it out.

gimmito said:
rygh said:
gimmito said:

Of course.
Except a true ghetto type knows that leftover white house paint actually works better than fancy shmancy
kitchen aluminum foil. Plus does not piss off the wife when she discovers it put back with just 3" left on the roll.
:p

rygh said:
gimmito said:
rygh said:
gimmito said:

Of course.
Except a true ghetto type knows that leftover white house paint actually works better than fancy shmancy
kitchen aluminum foil. Plus does not piss off the wife when she discovers it put back with just 3" left on the roll.
:p

:D

photo-190.jpg

I went to Ewings and picked up a 1 1/4" schedule 80 elbow and a small 1 1/4" stick. The skimmer's alot more quite and no salt creep. :)

If you are still getting a few bubbles out of the skimmer outlet, you can use a 1-1/4 to 2" or 3" bushing at the outlet to catch the remaining ones.

rygh said:
... But the small head on the torch coral turned pale pretty much immediately.
Tips are still alive though, and it seems to be feeding and improving. ...
Just thought I would report that the frag you gave me a while back recovered,
colored up nicely, and is doing fine now.

Back