Cali Kid Corals

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

sfsuphysics said:
Is there a maximum number of posts before the thread splits like RC? :D I mean maybe that's why the site is running slow, Jim's mega thread (with no water) is bogging everything down!

I was hoping for a split...maybe if I post some videos ? :p

eldiablosrt8 said:
This is an epic thread for sure....

To quote Rygh:

"This thread is pretty much a zone of its own.
Enough tidbits about an actual build often enough to keep it alive.
In progress long enough so everyone knows about it."-Rygh

Man, I need to drag out my 300 gallon rubbermaid trough and start making some saltwater...I'm almost to 1,000 post and 100 pages. ;)

Erick said:
What kind of lights are you using / plan on using?

I asked Sanjay Joshi what he recommended for my tank and he suggested Lumenmax Elite reflectors and Lumatek 250/400 selectable electronic ballast. After finishing the rockscape, I think I can get away with 3 relectors (instead of the original 5 planned). I was going to use ushio 14k mh bulbs, but I'm intrigued with the ushio 20k+.

gimmito said:
Erick said:
What kind of lights are you using / plan on using?

I asked Sanjay Joshi what he recommended for my tank and he suggested Lumenmax Elite reflectors and Lumatek 250/400 selectable electronic ballast. After finishing the rockscape, I think I can get away with 3 relectors (instead of the original 5 planned). I was going to use ushio 14k mh bulbs, but I'm intrigued with the ushio 20k+.

If you want to try a LME I have an extra one + same ballast. LMK. Bulb is on you though.

I'm running LME's with same ballasts (radiums until replacement) on a shallow tank. How much space above the tank do you have to put the reflectors? They're a little more of a spotlight-effect reflector, which can be mitigated through height somewhat should the need arise. If I want I can blowtorch 650umol on the sand at 16" deep if I want ;)

1000+ posts onward...

Thanks for the offer Dave !

I have 5 each of the Lumenmax elite reflectors & Lumatek ballast already. I have about 28" of clearance from the water to top of the inside of the hood. Jestersix suggested angling the reflectors a little higher and at a 5 degree angle to keep the light in and create some cool shadowing effects. I know a lot of guys use radiums, but I hear they had a problem getting them imported ? I always liked ushios though and 20k+ seems to have similiar coloration from the reviews I've been reading. I'm playing around with the placement of the tunze 6205's to keep them concealed, yet get some good flow throughout the tank. I'm resided to the fact I'm going to have to use a tunze stream (in a tunze stream rock) in the right front of the tank to avoid dead spots though.

Thanks for the offer Dave !

I have 5 each of the Lumenmax elite reflectors & Lumatek ballast already. I have about 28" of clearance from the water to top of the inside of the hood. Jestersix suggested angling the reflectors a little higher and at a 5 degree angle to keep the light in and create some cool shadowing effects. I know a lot of guys use the radiums, but I hear they had a problem getting them imported ? I always liked ushios though and the 20k+ seems to have similiar coloration from the reviews I've been reading. I'm playing around with the placement of the tunze 6205's to keep them concealed, yet get some good flow throughout the tank. I'm resided to the fact I'm going to have to use a tunze stream (in a tunze stream rock) in the right front of the tank to avoid dead spots though. I'm intrigued with the tunze wave box. Does anybody use them in conjunction with the tunze streams ?

Onward to 1000 post. :p

Page 100? Good god man!

That said, no way I can search through this whole thread. But what ventilation fan did you end up going with? (I seem to recall it was a quiet Panasonic one I think...) I'm close to starting demo, and realized I might want to have certain equipment in place before putting drywall and other things up :D Your size is a bit more than mine, but it'll give me a good starting point.

sfsuphysics said:
Page 100? Good god man!

That said, no way I can search through this whole thread. But what ventilation fan did you end up going with? (I seem to recall it was a quiet Panasonic one I think...) I'm close to starting demo, and realized I might want to have certain equipment in place before putting drywall and other things up :D Your size is a bit more than mine, but it'll give me a good starting point.

Good memory Mike. It is a Panasonic Whisper Quite bath fan (forgot the model number) and I got it at House of Fans.

Back