Neptune Aquatics

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

I think we did good on the rock work, looks realy nice under water! Flow looks killer, can't wait to see something swimming in there (other than your kids)!

jestersix said:
I think we did good on the rock work, looks realy nice under water! Flow looks killer, can't wait to see something swimming in there (other than your kids)!

Thanks Johnny...I have my eye on some black ice clowns for the first additions. ;)

dd5163b1.jpg

I finished the manifold. I have three additional feeds via gate valves for a bio pellet reactor, skimmer, & carbon reactor.

d0e48a78.jpg

Pic of the manifold feeding the skimmer and carbon reactor.

28071b4f.jpg

f432616a.jpg

Pic of manifold feed for the bio pellet reactor. I'm using Coralvue biosphere pellets. The recommended amount is 100-150 ml per 25 gal of water. I want to start out gradually and will use 800 ml. Also, I know it's recommended to place the output of the reactor near the intake of the skimmer. Since I have a recirculating skimmer, should I tie it in the feed line in the skimmer ? Any advice on bio pellet usage would be appreciated.

Pic of manifold feed for the bio pellet reactor. I'm using Coralvue biosphere pellets. The recommended amount is 100-150 ml per 25 gal of water. I want to start out gradually and will use 800 ml.
:lol: that's less than I plan on using on my 80g azoox tank :p

Which bio pellets are you using ? How many ml's are you starting off with ? I just hear folks who start off using too much and have problems down the line.

ATB biopellets (the same as NOPO, Warner Marine, and BioMaxx pellets).
Probably starting with 250ml or so and slowly increase as needed. I have a reactor rated up to 1.5L and 1.25L media or so, its all ready to go I just need to plumb it (European sizes ugh!)

e8b7cc26.jpg

3eb6acd0.jpg

2bcde4e2.jpg

I had a little time to work on the tanks today. I placed live rock/sand in the small return section of the sump in the QT to help cycle it. Based on a suggestion by Lee Birch on RF, I decided to simplify things by using a hydro sponge instead ( it will be much easier to medicate also). As soon as I can seed the sponges I can hopefully place an order for 6 black ice clowns from Proaquatix. :)

I also took out the frag racks in the FT since I was getting too much detritus build up under the racks. I'll have Gen modify them for better flow while I pickup my ATO tank for the main display on Monday.

Hey Jim
Pardon my coming late to the conversation, but looking at the above picture of your QT system, I'm don't think you are getting enough flow through the fish cubes. May I suggest a second output to the sump and changing the 90 elbow to a T with a cap to allow ventilation and future access to plumbing.
Just an observation...
pM for more elaborate explanation

Thanks Erin,

It's tough to get more flow in the cubes w/o getting a slurping noise. How much gph do you recommend through them ? I'll pm you for your modification recommendations.

Jim, that looks damn good! Wish my tank was close to being as awesome as yours! I know I read about you using some type of product to cycle your tank but I cant remember what page it was. Can you tell me what products you used and how long your cycling time was?

melly mel said:
Jim, that looks damn good! Wish my tank was close to being as awesome as yours! I know I read about you using some type of product to cycle your tank but I cant remember what page it was. Can you tell me what products you used and how long your cycling time was?

Thanks Rommel,

I used Dr. Tim's One and Only. The cycle time took about 10 days total w/the addition of ammonium chloride that Dr. Tim provides for free w/purchase (try and keep a 2-3ppm during the cycle). You can checkout the cycle starting on page 107.

Here's a link to Dr. Tim's:

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/One_Only/OneOnly.html

Back