Our mission

Going to have no power for 2 days

Ok, that makes more sense to me. If you need a full new line, that is a lot of work.
Ouch. But hey, now you can upgrade to a really big fish tank.

A bit surprised though. Big solar system?
I thought a 100A service could handle upwards of 5KW, and that is pretty big.
But even as an electrical engineer (not electrician) that whole line-tap, back-feed protection, and whatnot confused me.

Its being done by the same contractor.

I kept trying to push the solar contractor to use the existing 100A system, but since I wanted 20 panels, each at 330, + Tesla Powerwall + maybe EV charging, he said I would need to upgrade

125 or 150 would have sufficed, but the line was only rated for a max of 100 so the solar upgrade turned into a much bigger project...I'm hoping the turn on and then turn off for inspection will work...Otherwise i'll be on the look out for deals on long extension cords

Note: Offer to pay your neighbors.

If you don't know them, asking for a favor may or may not work.
But offering something like $200 to hook up an extension cord should make everyone happy.
And it is far cheaper than buying generators or other ideas.

Since its the same contractor doing both. He probably trying to do all the inspection at once by local city/county after PGE put there new metering device.

2 days sounds nuts to me. I’ve installed a large complex solar system that ran into issues, later installed high-voltage run for electric car charger, and then later installed whole-house backup batteries. Never was I down for more than a couple hours, during switch over.

I would directly ask the installers how long you will be without power, and tell them about how your tank can’t go for more than a couple hours without power.

In addition, I’d follow the advice from others above. Also I wouldn’t worry to much about running the generator after hours if you can get permission from your neighbors. One of those things that’s only enforced when there’s a complaint.
Same here my 29 panel system took half a day.

Since its the same contractor doing both. He probably trying to do all the inspection at once by local city/county after PGE put there new metering device.
But power off should only be during the installations. They keep solar system off till after the inspection which can take from 2 days to 10 days for the inspector to arrive.

Back