Kessil

Going to waikiki May 22-25 any suggestions?

good luahs?
snorkel spots?
Must see?
where to buy under water cameras?
discounts?
good tours?

it's me and my girlfriends 3 year anniversary and im surprising her with hawaii trip :D :D

for sure im going to the waikiki aquarium ED (drdoolittle) says its super hot inside though oh well anybody know where i can get discounted tickets? BAR discount lol? :D

First suggestion... GO LONGER! 3 day trip to Hawaii? really? Make it so the airfare portion of the trip is less a percentage of the total cost.

Now I don't have any experience on Waikiki (never made it to that island yet). However I'd suggest snatching up a ton of those tourist information pamphlets when you're waiting for your luggage at the airport. Lots of ideas, some coupons, in Maui they even had one that showed where the good snorkel spots are and levels of expertise in swimming required.

Camera, if you want to take some super cool pictures that are good, get a dedicated one. Jeremy has one he uses for his tank, an Olympus model (available at costco here) that is an underwater one. If you just want some silly, don't care about how great they are shots, swing by a walmart when you get to the island and buy a cheapy underwater camera (keep an eye out however as I got one for $5 more that wasn't disposable, so I could put new film in it).

i've heard hanauma bay has nice views but not good to see corals and fishes to much foot traffic corals are white and brown there. still ill check it out :D

any other suggestions guys? :D

For the best luau and polynesian show, go to the PCC Polynesian Cultural Center on the North shore of the island. You could easily spend an entire day and evening there. The luau dinner/show is in the evening, but the polynesian villages are open during the day. Take sunscreen and water. It is a large place with lots of walking. You can catch the canoe to the top and start in Easter Island, the Marquesas, Tahiti, and work your way through the South Pacific to Hawaii. It is an hour+ drive from Waikiki or 2 hours by public bus. Depending on the hotel you are staying at, there may be a shuttle. They are closed on Sunday. You can call to purchase tickets and they will have them at the box office for you.

For snorkeling, Hanauma has been pretty damaged by the tourists, but there are ongoing conservation efforts to help the tourists realise that walking on the corals is not a good idea. It may be somewhat recovered, and there are still a few interesting fish around. You could also try Magic Island/Alamoana beach park and swim out to the rock line during low tide. Morays love this area, so don't stick your hand in a crevice. Another beautiful beach is Kailua and Lanikai beach parks on the windward side. you could go snorkling, but it would be quite a swim. Most people paddle around in canoes they rent. Can't think of any true snorkeling places, perhaps Iani and Drdoolittle can think of others?

Waikiki Aquarium is a gem. Small, but full of interesting things, IMO. The cost is not horrendous, especially considering what we pay at CAS or Monteray, but then again, it is small and should take only 1-2 hours to go through. Go early because they close early, or at least they used to. Across from the Aquarium is a nice little Zoo if you are into land animals. :)

If I had only 3 days, I would definitely do all three of these places. :)

Other ideas: Shop at Ala Moana shopping center, eat at their lower food court. Hawaii is known for great restaurants. Lower end to upper. If you know what you want to eat, then I can suggest places too.

WOW thanks Sherri :D

well my schedule looks like this for now

DAY 1
- Friday take off from SFO 3:30pm
- Arrive at HNL 5:30pm
- Check in at Sheration Waikiki (employee rate) Ocean View Room
- Walk the beach (hopefully catch the sunset)
- Grab a Bite to eat somewhere close (Suggestions??)
- Hit up a Local Bar for some local special cocktails (Suggestions??)

Day 2
- Saturday 9am-4pm Captain Bob's Picnic Sail (Recommended by my older brother)
- Afterward's hotel change clothes take a shower
- Walk around the area site see take bus pictures
- Grab a bite to eat different place than the day before (Suggestions??)
- Hit up Oahu's Night Life Clubs/Bars (Suggestions??)

Day 3
- Breakfast (Suggestions??)
- Hanama Bay Snorkel
- Tour (Recommended by my older brother)
- Nice Desert Place (Suggestions??)
- 5pm-9pm Germaines Luau (Recommended by ED "drdoolittle")
- Probably head back to hotel chill out by the pool sip on some cocktails
- Pack up for take off

Day 4
- Breakfast (Suggestions??)
- Waikiki Aquarium
- Lunch
- Shopping
- Leave HNL at 9:30pm
- Arrive at SFO 5:45am

Im Paying $850 total for flight/hotel for both of us NWA/Sheraton Waikiki
looking to buy activities here: http://www.hawaiidiscount.com

please feel free to add edit comment or suggest anything

thanks

The Halekulani hotel has one of the best breakfast/brunches on the island. A bit pricey at around $25, but worth it, I think. I believe they have a fabulous dinner buffet too...OK, they have great gourmet/buffet food, period. Call for menu and prices. They also have another really pricey Japanese Buffet that is good I hear.

On the subject of gourmet, Roy's and Alan Wong's are great. Two of Hawaii's more famous chefs.
Alan Wong's Restaurant 1857 South King Street, 3rd Floor, Honolulu 808-949-2526
Pineapple Room by Alan Wong 1450 Ala Moana Blvd, Macy's, Honolulu 808-945-6573
Roy's R 6600 Kalanianaole Hwy, Honolulu 808-396-7697 This one is in Hawaii Kai, close to Hanauma Bay, but you will want to change your clothes if you went to the bay because it is Aloha wear/nice casual.

For gourmet with a local twist (plate lunch style) and not too pricey (about $10 or less) located at the Ward Center is Kaka'ako Kitchen 1200 Ala Moana Blvd, Ward Centre, Honolulu 808-596-7488.

BTW, the Ward Center and Ward Warehouse have shopping and a host of other really good restaurants. We also like Kinkaids. They used to have an early bird special, 3 course meal for a reasonable price.

Nicos (Not Nico's Fishmarket) on pier 38 is our favorite local style place for the freshest fish at a reasonable price ($10 or less) It is difficult to find, but well worth the effort. I would eat every meal there if I could!I usually get the catch of the day. Go early for lunch or later. It serves alot of the business crowd and lines go out the door at peak hours. They also serve breakfast and early dinner. They close around 5 or 6pm. Very casual outdoor seating.
Nico's At Pier 38 - www.nicospier38.com
1133 N Nimitz Hwy, Honolulu, HI - (808) 540-1377

For cheap eats and a HUGE variety, the Food Court at the Alamoana Shopping Center is close and convenient.

Here are my Kama'aina (local) notes...

There's a great beach where you can wade with sea turtles. It's a ways from Waikiki on the north shore. Head towards and through Haleiwa. Just about when you start to see the ocean there's a great beach on the left. It's basically the first beach where there are lots of cars parked on both sides of the road. The turtles tend to be on the northern (far) edge of the beach. Wade in the water with them. Feed them handfuls of algae that you pluck off the rocks. Experience of a lifetime! Be sure not to touch them, though...

After the turtles continue north and stop at a shrimp farm for fresh shrimp in garlic sauce! Yum. Only the shrimp farms are sort of an ecological disaster...

Then continue around through Kaneohe and to Lanikai where the beaches are oh-so-nice and where you might see Michelle Pfiefer.

The best local greasy spoon for food: Side Street Inn. A very local place near the Ala Moana Mall (on the wrong side of the mall, but great food). For fancy ambiance, eat at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Kahala. Beautiful aquaria and beaches and really good food too.

Wow you plan a vacation like my wife, where's the take "take time to soak up the Island"? Enjoy yourself take time to relax and feel the ocean breeze, there is nothing like the Islands at night.................................with some Cocktails!

Check in with us so we can be apart of your vacation.......Take pictures of my giant clam while your there.....Have fun!

your giant clam?? sure where?? :D

trust me i will take tons of pictures!!! :D

thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

im booking flight and paying for the activities tomorrow morning. I already reserved the hotel

anybody know a good check list on things to bring/pack

since the new airline restrictions are so uptight i decided just to have all our stuff checked in instead of hand carry. anybody suggest i do something different?

heres my check list on things to pack please feel free to add/edit delete:

- 2 slippers
- snorkel set
- 4/ea shorts / boxers
- 5 tank tops
- 4 t-shirts
- camera
- rechargeable batteries
- CA id
- CASH/CC
- 4 hats
- sun block/tan lotion
- 2/ea shoes / socks
- 1/ea jeans / slacks
- 1 dinner jacket
- 1 dress shirt
- 3 Sunglasses
- Cell Phone w/charger

i figure i shouldn't bring any bathroom supplies the hotel should give them for free i.e. toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, q-tips, razors, ect.

question to the women here:
1. My girlfriend has a lot of make-up i know she will want to bring what are the restrictions what should she do.
2. Anything else you women do to prepare or pack that might lead to problems?
3. Tips on packing? clothes? accessories?

** She wont know until 2 or 3 days before we take off but she has already taken those days off**

thanks again guys

Yes, like Crabby said, the Kahala Mandarin is really nice! Pricey though, but the dolphins make up for it. :) BTW, you can just go to the hotel and see the dolphins if they are out.

Remember that you cannot take gels, lotions, creams, oils, liquids, etc. over a certain amount, onto the plane. Your GF can take dried powders, but she should pack the rest in her suitcase to be on the safe side. It would be a shame if it was confiscated. Makeup can be expensive.

Back