Good dosing pumps?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kinetic, Oct 5, 2017.

1. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

What's your favorite dosing pump? I'm planning on dosing AquaForest balling method (Ca, Alk, Mag). I used to have a Bubble Magus, but I don't think I ever actually used it. I sold it a long time ago.

I was going to wait until later to get one for that (if I ever keep something other than anemones), but then saw that TB Aquatics has a few left for pretty cheap, including a Bubble Magus. Are these worth getting or should I just hold off for something better?

https://www.tbaquatics.com/dosing-pumps-accessories/bubble-magus-bm-t01-triple-dosing-pump/
    https://www.tbaquatics.com/dosing-pumps-accessories/sea-side-aquatics-dosing-pump-dp4/

2. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

I like the bubble Magus gets my vote

kinetic likes this.
  3. JVU .

JVU . Supporting Member

I would agree with your first thought that you won’t need to dose Ca/Alk unless you have LPS or SPS corals. Coralline algae uses up some but can be easily kept up with by water changes in your size tank I think.

I haven’t tried others but I’ve been perfectly happy with my Apex DOS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. DEATH BY SNU SNU

only 4 left.....better buy now

5. L/B Block

L/B Block Supporting Member

Been using the apex dos for water changes and that has been great in conjunction with switching to Red Sea pro salt.
    Alk has been 8.7 and Ca at 480.

I would also maybe wait until Neptune comes out with their new device that will monitor Ca, alk, Mg that be really the ticket. Or just another device needing constant calibration.

But I really do like the apex dos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DEATH BY SNU SNU

Easy DOS it! :)

7. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

For those who use Apex DOS, are you only dosing 2 things? I think it's weird there isn't 3 pumps.

8. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I would say that most people don't dose Mg daily. Usually only every few weeks or monthly. So most would only have alk and Ca automated. That's what I used to do, then I got lazy/forgetful and bought another BRS doser.

kinetic and DEATH BY SNU SNU like this.
  9. DEATH BY SNU SNU

In my tank, Alkalinity gets used the most, then Calcium, then Mg a distant third.

kinetic likes this.
  10. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Ah, so most likely I wouldn't need an auto doser for Mg, since it's really only needed once in awhile. I remember hand dosing Mg, but I don't remember how often. It was mostly Alk and Ca. So that does make sense.

11. DEATH BY SNU SNU

you can still do it auto if you have the space. I know some reefers only about 5 ml of Mg a day whilst dosing 50-100 ml Alk and Ca for their SPS tanks

Coral reefer likes this.
  12. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I i have a aquamedic doser if you are interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I was around 4ml/day of Mg when I was dosing pre-CaRx on my reefer 250.

DEATH BY SNU SNU likes this.
  14. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

I uses cheap jebao 3 pump doser. So far so good

15. Yippee

Yippee Supporting Member

Not sure if this is okay, but I add my Mg. to my auto top off reservoir.

16. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I don't see why you can't add it to auto top off water

17. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

spectrapure controlled by Apex.

18. DEATH BY SNU SNU

i guess depending on how much evaporation you get? now that it's colder i'm noticing more drastic evaporation

19. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

Kinetic since you like diy, here’s what I did with my AF 123 and saved $$ on dosing containers.
    [​IMG]

I got those bulkhead from amazon that let me add ro lines to the containers and connect to doser.

[​IMG]

kinetic likes this.
  20. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

@ashburn2k oh yeah that looks great. I have some of those slim BRS containers from my old system back 5 years ago. I only drilled the top, but maybe adding bulkheads would be a better idea.