High Tide Aquatics

Got Purple?

There is a powdery purple stuff growing on the stalk of my neon green candycane (trumpet) coral. It's not crusty like the coraline on the rock next to it. I was thinking it was a spunge but it isn't very thick. I tried to get a clear full pic of it but it's hard to hold it and take the picture.
candycane5.jpg

On a side note, I was thinking about putting a frag up for DBTC but I think it may take a while for a frag to multiple. This is what the colony started out like back in August when I got it. While there are now about 12 mouths I can't say a small frag would grow skeleton very fast..... maybe I'll just sell some to help finance a sump :) What do you think, are there some corals that just wouldn't work well for DBTC?
candycanenew.jpg

I'll get someone hold it so I can get a better pic.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2694.msg28231#msg28231 date=1197402116]
I can't tell what it is
[/quote]

Nice :D I won't worry about it then, thanks

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=2694.msg28265#msg28265 date=1197436993]
Yup, sponge.

Is the DBTC for the candycane or the sponge? :D

C
[/quote]

I have been target feeding mine a couple times a wek so the flesh goes down pretty low and a couple of the heads/mouths join at the base. My question is does the flesh heal well if it needs to be hacked up a bit? I don't think I could frag it without cutting it some at least and I've only fragged zoa's. Maybe I'll bring it to the next meeting and frag it with some supervision?

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2694.msg28269#msg28269 date=1197444251]
Candycane is pretty good for propagating/DBTC.

Looks nice. Easy to frag. Easy to feed. Grows fast if you target feed.
[/quote]

Right, but I can't do that without cutting some flesh since it joins lower down on the branch. Maybe I should hold off on feeding it for a few weeks to let it shrink a bit and seperate?

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2694.msg28281#msg28281 date=1197478136]
You typically snip at the branches when you frag "candy canes."
[/quote]

Back