Kessil

Growth Pattern

I've noticed this and was wondering if anyone else is doing the same; I realized that my SPS corals which sit at the very top of my rockscape grow in different patterns, well this is kind of expected but I also began to pay attention to the direction in which things grow, particularly sticks since they are the most telling. Some grow up, some grow sideways, some grown downwards.

Is is safe to assume that SPS that grows up is looking for more light and SPS that's growing down is trying to escape the light intensity?

If this is at all evident I imagine it would be a great sign to read when it comes to placement in tank with relation to lighting.

Your thoughts?

I don't know the answer but you could try putting frags of the same coral in several places and see if it grows differently.

I've done that with LPS and some Zoas, LPS definitely react differently based on where they are and some more drastic than others. SPS on the other hand I haven't had multiple frags from the same coral, my colonies are almost big enough to start getting clipped, I guess I'll find out once I clip the one that's growing down, maybe I can stick a small frag low in the tank and see if it starts to grow up then I guess that's a sure answer.

I've noticed this and was wondering if anyone else is doing the same; I realized that my SPS corals which sit at the very top of my rockscape grow in different patterns, well this is kind of expected but I also began to pay attention to the direction in which things grow, particularly sticks since they are the most telling. Some grow up, some grow sideways, some grown downwards.

Is is safe to assume that SPS that grows up is looking for more light and SPS that's growing down is trying to escape the light intensity?

If this is at all evident I imagine it would be a great sign to read when it comes to placement in tank with relation to lighting.

Your thoughts?
SPS will chase flow and light.

Back