Jestersix

Gummed up BioPellets

So I am having trouble with my bio pellets. When I first put them in they tumbled in the Media Reactor very nicely. But over time they seem to get gummed up. Steadily they tumble less and less until now they can hardly be seen to tumble at all. The water is moving through the reactor same as always but no tumble.

The media set up is:

- AquaMaxx BioMaxx Plus BioPellets – just 2 cups

- Powered by a EHEIM Compact+ Pump 2000

- In a Next Reef media reactor

Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem?

My System:

- 200 Gal reef + a few fish
- 30 Gal +/- sump
- Dose Bulk Reef Supply Cal, Mag, Alk via Liter Meter III

- Add Kh, Stront and Amino Acids added by hand

- 3 EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w Gen3 LED Light Fixtures

- High Capacity GFO in another Next Reef media reactor

- Diablo Protein Skimmer

- All water parameters are always perfect - unless I screw up :cool:

I suspect this can be one of two problems:
A) the pump is under-powered, better get a more powerful pump and put a valve on it.
B) the reactor isn't good for bio -pellets. They don't always provide a flow/circulation pattern to keep bio-pellets flowing.

I agree with @mediumrare

I had to increase my pump and put valves on it and even once an awhile have to adjust the flow to keep an even tumble...

I switched over to EcoBak+ pellets they are smaller so the pump does not have to be as powerful as they are a smaller pellet and tumble better.

You may have a point @mediumrare. I think the NextReef reactor is good but there are better and more expensive ones out there. The pump is also not overly powerful and might need upgrading. Jonmos75, thx for the pellet tip. I'll look into switching.

The thing that has me scratching my head is why do the pellets tumble well when fresh and then gum up over time? The pump is plenty strong with fresh pellets. Is it normal for them to get more sticky?

Took you guys advice and put a larger pump on the system.
- EHEIM Compact+ Pump 3000

So now I'm pushing 792 Gallons per hour instead of 528

Pellets are tumbling nicely!

Back