Halimeda spp. / Cactus algae

Discussion in 'DBTC - Other' started by Mr. Ugly, Sep 9, 2007.

statistics
No Transactions
None
Please email your web administrator with a link to this thread if you want to add this thread to the DBTC database!!
  1. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I can make a couple frags from this calcareous macroalgae - Alameda Halimeda :D

No pic yet, but here's a good article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/nftt/index.php

This macroalgae showed up spontaneously in my tank, and has been growing out for the past few months. It's a quick grower, but should be cared for as an SPS in terms of alk/Ca requirements. It is supposed to be undemanding in terms of lighting requirements, and it's been suggested that it would be a good algae for nutrient export.

Who do I want to get these frags?

- you have read the article in the above url.
    - you've Googled and read more info about the genus.
    - you are a BAR, MARS, SEABay, CVR etc member.
    - you have posted your own cool(whatever that mean to you) corals on this forum for propping.
    - you can tell us how you keep your alk/Ca on target.
    - you promise to be a good coral and algae mommy/daddy and you'll grow it out to "mini colony" size before fragging. No frag-lettes of frags please! :D
    - you agree to put 2 frags back into DBTC before trading etc.
    - you can pick it up from me at a BAR meeting or in Alameda.
    - your eyes haven't glazed over from reading this list of prerequisites.

I'll figure some way to pick a name. If your name doesn't get picked, maybe you can get one of the next batch/generation of frags?

This algae has been growing 2/3 down in a 72g bowfront under 2x250 20k Radiums.

Targeted tank parameters:

Alk 3.6 meq
    Ca 430 ppm
    Mg 1350 ppm
    pH 8.4
    s.g. 1.024
    temp 77

2. bookfish

bookfish Guest

I'm not getting in line but when you're done offering it here, we can back it up in my tank w/ the other BAR macros

3. zepplock

zepplock Guest

I used to have this algae.
    What concerns me is that if you dry it - it looks like a piece of white rock. So I presume it sucks a lot of calcium out of the tank?