Our mission

Has anyone used a glass-holes overflow?

I've got a 29 gallon Truvu and have been wanting to add a sump for a while, but am paranoid about HOB overflows.

But, I stumbled across this solution that only involves drilling the back of the tank. Does anyone have experience with glass-holes overflow kits? Specifically the "Super Nano con Dientes" which is the 300 GPH with teeth. I saw a few mentions here on BAR, searched RC, and looked at some youtube videos. It seems like a pretty good solution, and I'm willing to pay the extra to have it all ready to go, vs. trying to DIY my own overflow box.

In particular, I'm curious about 2 things:
1) noise
2) reliability? It seems they have a baffle system in the box, and I wasn't sure what it's propensity to get blocked and cause an overflow might be.

Not sure if there are other overflow kits like that one that just involve drilling the back vs. drilling the bottom (not an option with my already full tank).

Thanks in advance!

I just bought a kit. They give you candy! I'll be drilling it sometime this week so follow my thread about plumbing in the equipment section.

I've bought 1 and used it on 2 different tanks. It works fine, no problem with snails or hermits climbing over. if you have a wrasse or jumping fish you should make a small fence over it since the teeth may only stick up around 1/2" out of water. Also make sure your glass isn't too thick or it'll be hard to get a watertight seal which i've had to deal with. the noise was noticeable, not quite but not too bad- it really depends on how quiet the rest of your system is. I decided to make a custom baffle that lessened the overflow noise. Overall though they're well made and the pieces fit together very well, and yes, there is candy included!

Thanks.
@sfork I'll watch your thread
@cookiejar what sizes were you using? I'll be using the smallest one/nano. I'm wondering if smaller = quoted. Also, curious about how you built you custom baffle.

I'd be drilling my 29 acrylic. It's not too thick.

I think mine is the 700 gph one: http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-complete-kit-gh700kit.htm
I actually made a couple custom baffles, just something to place on the inside to lessen the trickle sound. my 1st was a simple 6" x 3/4" (appx.) flat acrylic piece that slowed the water overflow, the 2nd one was a square acrylic rod that I added 2 smaller pieces to make it a "u" and then had 3/4" x 3/4" square pieces glued to the ends of the 'u' that function as a step for the water flowing. It's hard to describe but the idea is to try different pieces to see what lessens the trickle noise but doesn't obstruct the flow too much.
right now I don't have anything on mine because my vortechs are now noisier than the trickling of the overflow. :~

Back