Our mission

Hello BAR, a scotch neat please.

Hiya Folks,

I joined BAR on the prompting of Derrick at Ocean Treasures Aquarium and Jim at Green Marine. This is the first time I have joined a hobby club, aside from sports. I have been keeping tropical fish for over 25 years, I initially started in freshwater, switched to reef, then planted tanks, dabbled in guppy breeding, and now back to corals. The last time I had a saltwater tank was about eight years ago... until now. An addict should never return to the scene of the crime, and woe is me, I made the mistake of stopping by Tong's Tropical Fish in Fountain Valley in February. I remember patronizing Tong's when they first opened years ago and visit now and then just to look at their display tanks -- no really. This time, my self-control crumbled not at the sight of some beautiful lifestock, but rather, get this, at hardware. Yup, one glimpse of the new Fluval Edge tank and the geek gears in my head exploded with possibilities. So much has changed in reefkeeping from when I initially started in the late 80's, and with the advance of technology and general knowledge, marine systems are much easier now versus before. I bought the tank. I cursed myself while unloading the big box from the trunk. I berated myself while lugging the tank back to San Francisco. I was horrified yet relieved to open the box at home and find huge cracks and broken glass inside the tank. I felt victorious to find another replacement at 6th Avenue Aquarium an hour later.

I had no choice. I had several pounds of mature SPS system live sand and rock, gallons of old established tank water, various species of macroalgea, snails, zoos, a LE greenpolyp toadstool, and a Springer's damsel, all waiting in plastic bags for a home. They were purchased from places like OC Aquatic and Sea Side in Huntington Beach, Coral Oasis in Costa Mesa, and FishMax in Fountain Valley (I am throwing out these names in case any BAR members find themselves in Southern Orange County and in need of a good reef fix).

So yeah, I'm back in the hobby.

~Benaminh

P.S. Anyone know where I can find some Purple Tonga Mushrooms, a large piece of Tyree LE Purple Monster, or the original Oregon Tort?

Now that is a title I can appreciate!

Welcome back to the hobby! It sounds like you are deep into it ;)

I'd encourage you to join up as a BAR member which will open up a lot of resources within BAR which you can't access with basic forum access. It's totally worth it :-D As for your coral request, the coral Portfolio of the BAR membership is mind blowing. If you can think of it, "we" probably have it.

Welcome Benaminh!
Derek got me interested too and then Charles Wolfus (BAR pres.) twisted my arm.
Your gonna like it here!

Welcome! I'm pretty sure we'll see a forum post from you in less than one year titled:

"Break out the Makers Mark, I am upgrading to a 120G reef"

Back