Kessil

Hello from Cal Poly SLO!

Hi,

My home is in the Bay Area but I am currently a student at Cal Poly. I'm new to reefs but I have about 5 yrs of freshwater experience(if that matters). I'm going to setup a tank less than 15 gallons so it's easier to move the tank. I'm going to transport the tank about 3-4 times a year. I have a few things planned so far, but I don't start this project until I get back from school for summer vacation.

Looking forward on having fun in this hobby!

But wouldn't it be harder to keep parameters stable(especially for a noob like me) with a smaller tank?
I'm also thinking about having the tank just barebottom

Thanks

jsolanzo said:
But wouldn't it be harder to keep parameters stable(especially for a noob like me) with a smaller tank?
I'm also thinking about having the tank just barebottom

Thanks
This is confusing. All they said was moving a tank so often is a bad idea. Nothing about size. Bare bottom is better for moving that's for sure.

jsolanzo said:
Hi,

My home is in the Bay Area but I am currently a student at Cal Poly. I'm new to reefs but I have about 5 yrs of freshwater experience(if that matters). I'm going to setup a tank less than 15 gallons so it's easier to move the tank. I'm going to transport the tank about 3-4 times a year. I have a few things planned so far, but I don't start this project until I get back from school for summer vacation.

Looking forward on having fun in this hobby!

Welcome!

Did that back in college for about a year. Huge PITA moving it,and I had a 12g nano cube with everything built in. Better off coming up with enough automation to leave it if you can. Also FYI, larger aquariums are generally more stable. In smaller aquariums, fluctuations in water level, and other parameters can have larger effects. The constant moving proved too much, and I dismantled mine and transferred everything to my 135.

Back