Cali Kid Corals

Hello! Getting back into the hobby

Hi, I'm sure none of you really remember us, it's been a year since we posted but we wanted to say HI and get reacquainted with everyone. We actually never posted here on BAR, we dud post on RC but never got the chance to here. I purchased a year membership for myself and my b/f Micah but we never got to use it. :'( Unfortunately we had a major house fire on January 1st 2006 at 2:48 am and our tank and most of the contents were lost due to the cold weather. Since the fire occurred on a holiday weekend none of our LFS were open to take our livestock so most of it died. It has been a long year dealing with reconstruction and insurance issues (not to mention our normal daily activities with 3 kids and 2 tull time jobs) and we are just now getting back into the saltwater hobby. Previously we had a 180 gallon Oceanic with dual overflows but we decided to go a bit smaller this time, we are now setting up a 75 gallon All Glass with single overflow and we are hoping to make some new fish crazy friends here ;). Here's a quick overview of our tank before and after....
Before the fire we had this beautiful tank thriving.....
pics119.jpg

This is a shot from farther away, it's really hard to see the tank but you can see the rest of the damage in the area the tank was in. Oh and the fire didn't actually reach this part of the house, just the heat and smoke.
Picture270.jpg

And here is a close up shot.
NewPics.jpg

I think the worst part was knowing that if the stores had been open most of our livestock would have made it, but with the 3 day weekend and absolutely NO power it was doomed. Our insurance company was good to us, they gave us 95% payoff for the equipment but we got screwed with the livestock, unfortunately they don't cover that so we are out everything we had living in the tank. It's going to be slow going replacing our corals, I think that and the rock will be the most expensive part. We will be going with LPS and softies this time around because we are avoiding metal halides. Those things run up the electric bill big time! LOL

So, here we are back again and looking to restart. Any tips would be awesome and we would like to become members again and hopefully get some great frags from well established systems. Of course we aren't rushing it, at this point we are still getting all our equipment! LOL But soon, soon, we will have another beautiful tank and we are very excited!!

Micah and Kerri

You could probably reuse the rock if you still have them. Where are you located? I probably have some corals you could have when you are ready. Just contact me on RC since I hardly check this site.

No, we don't have anything left. We took all the livestock that was still alive (a few corals and the LR) to our fish store. Evan has a couple pieces left but he sold most of the rock. We had some really great rock. We are in Suisun, I work in Benicia and Micah works in Berkeley. We will let you know when we are ready for corals. Thank You!

Back