Kessil

HELP! Anyone know where get KMnO4?

finalphaze987

Supporting Member
One for my montis started showing tissure loss about a week ago. Me thinking it was a water chemistry prob, went scrambling for the solution...yesterday, i noticed the monti next to it started loosing tissue as well...AHH HAH! i flipped one over and there they were...MONTI EATING NUDIS...i started freaking out so i pulled out any rares and DBTC montis i had in the display and threw it into the frag tank...so far so good, but the affected pieces are still infested..

Ive never had this prob before, and always feared it since our tank is mostly montis. The last piece i added in the tank was a strawberry patch monti from BACFM that i got from Tyree...i made the mistake of not dipping this particular piece and am now paying for it dearly...

does anyone know where to get some potassium permanganate so i could nuke these little bastards? One of the infested montis stande 12 inches high and 10 inches across...so ill have to fill a bucket to dip this piece or break it apart..

Do i have to worry about the pieces in the frag tank (nudi eggs, etc.)

And would any other corals besides monti be affected?

Don't you have pharmacy connections that could get you some?

Or just go with Povidone iodine for now. You can do light dips every few days until you see the montis are clean for a couple months.

Nudis take a while to reproduce. Did the strawberry patch show damage?

Which coral was the first to have problems?

We can compound it at the pharmacy, but im not sure how the pharmacist would feel about me taking it home without an Rx...The strawberry patch was the first to show damage..then it spread to a large cap about 5 inches down stream from it..How concentrated of a solution should i make with the povidone? would it take care of the eggs too? Thanks Norm..

If you know of any stores that deal with Koi, that's often used in Koi ponds for something or other, worth a few calls.

I'm with Norman though, since KMnO4 is also used as a dip, you might as well use providone at least initially as a temp fix, while yeah it'll help with the nudis AFAIK it won't hit eggs, where as KMnO4 will.

Thanks Mike...i just called my dad and he has about 3 lbs of PP powder...he couldnt tell me much about the concentration but he did say 1 Gm/100 gal will yield a 4ppm sol. ...ill have to figure out how much to use off that..

I have some posts somewhere here about KMnO4 and concentrations. I think on one of Mike's theads.

You can rough measure with a teaspoon and go by bulk density of the compound, then do serial dilutions.

Don't bother trying to weigh milligram quantities.

Ok, Bourneman did 50mg/l for 90 min for his low doses.

Try 20-25 mg/l for 15-30 min to start. I remember playing around with that concentration and it was sorta workable.

Higher concentrations ended up nuking some montis. The montis seemed really variable in their tolerance to the KMnO4.

cool, thanx for the info everyone...

ill give that concentration a try tomorrow...i figure i can break off parts of the larger monti for test runs till i find the right concentration, while useing the 20-25 mg/L as a base...ill post here how everything turns out.

Back