got ethical husbandry?

Help me illuminate a 180g with LEDs

iCon

Supporting Member
This whole big tank thing is new to me...Looking for some suggestions/experiences.

Standard dimensions.
Canopy, non-negotiable.
Low clearance between surface and canopy - approx 14-16".
Softies and LPS only. Maybe pest-like SPS.
Needs to light the entire tank.

No strict budget limit per se but let's not get too crazy ;)

Ready made or DIY?

Were you at the last meet? RapidLED showed how easy it was to make them. Even Patchin could do it! (Just teasing cuz Patchin made the one I WON!)

Beware: someone's 'too crazy' is another's 'lit like a cave'. :)

The Canopy will probably be key to making the decisions.
Low profile means you probably want 5W or 3W types on a heat sink.
Meaning strips, not pendant or PAR38. With wide angle lenses, or perhaps no lenses.
I like DIY best, but there are many others out there.

If you think you might want SPS but are not sure, I really recommend
you get enough LEDs, but make sure they are controllable with a dimmer.
It is not that much more for a bit of extra power, and being able
to tweak with a dimmer is so nice. Hard to change later.

Note that with LEDs, you can go really low profile if you want.
My "Canopy" is all of 3 inches.
rygh_t1.jpg

rygh said:
The Canopy will probably be key to making the decisions.
Low profile means you probably want 5W or 3W types on a heat sink.
Meaning strips, not pendant or PAR38. With wide angle lenses, or perhaps no lenses.
I like DIY best, but there are many others out there.

If you think you might want SPS but are not sure, I really recommend
you get enough LEDs, but make sure they are controllable with a dimmer.
It is not that much more for a bit of extra power, and being able
to tweak with a dimmer is so nice. Hard to change later.

Note that with LEDs, you can go really low profile if you want.
rygh_t1.jpg
What kind of ventilation system do you have, if you have one? I'm curious behind the design/functionality. Have pictures? :)

Hah, I guess I should have clarified...

It's not my tank or many of you would have already known about it...ESP. Boun! ;) Couldn't imagine having a softy/LPS only tank. I run AI and Kessils but my tank is 1/4th the size of this thing so what is best for my small tanks may not be the best/make the most sense for this monstrosity.

Pre-made fixtures only at this point... 'Crazy' would be defined as >2000.

The canopy is an issue because, for example.. I think Kessils would have a hard time achieving the desired spread/coverage due to height limitations. 3-4 x Kessil 350w were my first idea but I think spotlighting may be an issue.

denzil said:
rygh_t1.jpg

What kind of ventilation system do you have, if you have one? I'm curious behind the design/functionality. Have pictures? :)

There is a thread on the build here:
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/11490

Basically, top is open, but has vertical boards, giving the illusion of a full canopy, unless you are standing right next to it.

This is from eye level, about 2 feet away:
canopy1.jpg

This is if you look at it from truly over the tank:
canopy2.jpg

The canopy itself hinges up. No doors. Or it can be easily pulled off, for full access.

A couple of Maxspect Razors (the 160w version) could work, they have a very thin profile (I think maybe 1 inch), although require about 6" of clearance above them, they have a pretty decent spread from what I've seen, they're powerful, and for cost per watt are one of the cheapest options out there ~$500 per fixture. The only potential issue is maybe a "disco ball" effect if the LEDs are too close to the surface, but this will be an effect all LEDs would have.

aqua-nut said:
Ready made or DIY?

Were you at the last meet? RapidLED showed how easy it was to make them. Even Patchin could do it! (Just teasing cuz Patchin made the one I WON!)

Beware: someone's 'too crazy' is another's 'lit like a cave'. :)
Ya mean it works????????

gimmito said:
+1 on the Maxspect Razors.

I was hoping for that you were finally doing the BIG upgrade C. :p

This is for another of my vicarious 'tank away from home' ordeals so sort of ;) I'll look into the Razors...I'm not at all familiar.

I have a tank for my so called upgrade and a nice one at that. I'm just not sure it's the tank I want. I don't want to upgrade/change tanks again in 2 years..

Reefbright are great for lps and softies ime. I'd DIY a similar setup for less tho.
AI sol blue been treating me right, 3 w all 70 degree optics would work great.
Rapid just came out with their own light, pretty cool for $270 each

Ecoxotic also had those panarama modules that I believe could be mounted directly to the top of a canopy. You can pick color and add as many as you need. Supposed to be pretty good and should be more than enough for a softie tank.

Thanks for the input. Maxspect are definitely interesting but passive cooling makes me unsure?

3 x AI with all 70* is an option. I figure this would set the lighting at around $1200 all said and done. Additional lenses, rails, controller.

Hey Mike - Here's a question on those Reef Brites - How many would you need and what lengths in your opinion? XHO version? I had them in the past but not as primary lighting.

I think I'm sold on the MaxSpects...Except I'm not sure I would use them without a canopy. I might venture into DIY for my tank if I have a canopy to hide them in but for now, this fits the bill quite nicely. Those that suggested DIY signed themselves up to help in the future ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

iCon said:
I think I'm sold on the MaxSpects...Except I'm not sure I would use them without a canopy. I might venture into DIY for my tank if I have a canopy to hide them in but for now, this fits the bill quite nicely. Those that suggested DIY signed themselves up to help in the future ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I am confused, I thought you wanted a canopy "Non negotiable".??
Should not be too hard to build one around the Razor. You would need a fan though.

Maxspect looks like a great choice. I love all the different wavelengths they use.

Back